Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Snug as a bug in a rug!
    I didn't realize how tall the ceiling was until I saw the men standing there.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Don't know if has been stated before: what do you plan to use for wall covering? Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Snug as a bug in a rug!
    I didn't realize how tall the ceiling was until I saw the men standing there.
    10' walls (actually about 9'8.5" from the floor to the bottom of the trusses with the concrete in place) and with the 4:12 pitch, about not quite 5' up from there to the peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Don't know if has been stated before: what do you plan to use for wall covering? Looking good.
    Lower 8' is drywall installed vertically to eliminate butt joints and the top ~2' will be acoustic tile as part of the noise abatement I'm working out. I despise OSB, so drywall is the most cost effective way to get a nice wall surface, is easy to install and paints up well. I'm not prone to knocking into walls so I'm not worried about it and don't feel the need for plywood. There will be a couple of extra girts behind the area where I'm likely to hang cabinetry and/or other things between the two side windows so that makes for solid support for French Cleats or other fastening.

-----

Electrician will be back out next week...it's WAY too wet out there for trenching right now after several inches of rain (that continues today and into tomorrow) so he's going to stick with "inside" work this week for other clients and I don't blame him.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-04-2022 at 10:15 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There will be a couple of extra girts behind the area where I'm likely to hang cabinetry and/or other things . . .
    That is a nice thing about having a fairly good idea of your layout. I added a fair amount of extra blocking for just such purposes on the inside. I also added the blocking for the DC shed attaching points and HVAC outdoor units.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree, Glenn. While I've revised the location of the DC and compressor, the extra structure for the platform to hold the compressor is essentially the same as it was in the original location I considered. (Moved it to help mitigate electric cost and potentially shorten duct work) I already determined I needed the extra girts between the two windows so that's essentially two more 16' equivalents of 2x4 that will be in the wall there. There are only a few other small areas I may need additional girts and I have scrap material from the structure build that will handle most of that. My goal is to envision all the critical support needs before the walls are covered and things will remain open for awhile because most of the electrical work will get done before the wall coverings go up. So there's plenty of time to continue to think about and hopefully anticipate needs.
    --

I Watched the video and I was impressed at how fast and efficient the crew was. Will you be posting more video's on YT?
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    I Watched the video and I was impressed at how fast and efficient the crew was. Will you be posting more video's on YT?
    There are four up there now ... Holes, Build, Concrete and Spray Foam ... and it's likely there will be more, Rich.
    --

Jim,

If don’t mind me asking how much did the spray foam end up running per bd ft?

Sorry, my verbage was poor as usual. I have been following and was referring to the 12 Sept.

Looking forward to your wall closing, the acoustic abatement sounds interesting.

The site prep for the building was months ago, but the concrete pour was last week. The building went up on 12 September.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-05-2022 at 10:26 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jenson View Post
    Jim,

If don’t mind me asking how much did the spray foam end up running per bd ft?
    Not sure and didn't do the math but that's an $8.5K insulation job...which believe it or not was half what my original quote was from another firm.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stiefel View Post
    Sorry, my verbage was poor as usual. I have been following and was referring to the 12 Sept.

Looking forward to your wall closing, the acoustic abatement sounds interesting.
    LOL. Don't worry about stuff like that.

I'm really looking forward to getting things going with the interior, but I'm not going to rush too quickly, both for financial reasons and I want my CO on the building before I "get fancy". I may have the overhead door early next week based on an email this morning and the electrician and I agreed to wait until next week for them to come back. All that rain (about 4") we received in the past few days would make for a very unpleasant job trenching, etc. But starting tomorrow, the weather improves and no new rain for the foreseeable future.
    --

Floor video is now up...enjoy!

Love watching those guys pour and work that concrete. They make it look so easy but it's hard work and requires such great skill. Nice job!

13. Jim. Thank you for starting this thread. I’m learning a lot. No future plans(tho I wish) to build my own shop from the ground up but still very interesting to learn all that one must go thru to erect a new building on land. Very informative and entertaining. Allows me to dream.

14. That is just fantastic. Looks great. If I ever have the opportunity mine would be very similar. Well done.

The actual sun was out today for the first time since late last week...so it made for a very nice day to get started on a few interior things.

The compressor will live on a platform above the Harvey G700 DC, so I placed the side and back members and marked out for the rest of the construction. Aside from the two 2x6 I had left over from boxing out the windows, I have enough scrap 2x6 material left from the structure build to do the rest of the framing for this platform plus 2x4 material to do the necessary corner post. The actual platform will be 24" deep and 64" wide, but the lumber on the wall has to span between the posts.

IMG_2648.jpg

The second task for the day was to get started with the support boards for the lighting fixtures which should be here on Tuesday. They are lightweight, 8' long LED units (same ones that Matt Cremona used in his shop), so simple 1x3 furring strips got the nod for the job. I also bought a cheap quart of white paint and coated the material just to provide a little bit of reflectivity around the narrow fixtures. 'Got the paint on before lunch and then started "the hanging" mid-afternoon. I had to play with the math a little...and resorted to using some tape on the floor to assure myself of the spacing for the four rows...and then got three of the four lines up before I stopped at the end of the day. I need two more boards as I want to extend the back end of all four rows by four feet so I can shift the lighting back two feet so everything is "centered". I'll get those when I pick up a few other things I need tomorrow.

IMG_2646.jpg IMG_2649.jpg IMG_2650.jpg

Where I left things at the end of today's frolicing...

IMG_2651.jpg
    --