Thread: Lie-Nielsen Quality Decline?

Lie-Nielsen Quality Decline?

I have purchased a number of Lie-Nielsen tools over the last 15 or so years and have always had zero complaints Wanting to replace my old chisel set I purchased one of their 1" bevel chisels and it was delivered this week. I spent over 2 hours flattening the back of the chisel before it was serviceable. Before I purchase more (as they become available) I wanted to see if this is typical of their newer tools or chisels? I would expect to spend 15-20 minutes but 2 hrs is excessive for an $85 chisel. I attached a pic of what it looked like after an hour of work on a course diamond stone and a few minutes on finer water stones so I could see where I was.[ATTACH=CONFIG]475261[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by todd butler; 03-05-2022 at 8:45 PM.

If the rougher marks are from the factory I would say your chisel has a belly, and that is a bear to flatten

You hit the nail on the head, the rough marks are from the factory grind.

You should have called them and explained the problem rather than spend all that time. Their customer service is outstanding. They would have taken care of it.

For the price the expectation is you not have to spend that kind of time (if any) flattening. Would be on the phone with LN for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hillestad View Post
    For the price the expectation is you not have to spend that kind of time (if any) flattening. Would be on the phone with LN for a replacement.
    Just what I was thinking. I have one of each LN bench chisel and all were dead flat. All mine were booth about 2014 though.

Every company has an occasional dud slip through. All it takes is one distraction and a work in process part ends up in the wrong pile. Probably a quick call to customer service would have gotten it resolved.

If you need to do more than a little flattening, consider sticky back PSA sandpaper to get things going. I buy it in rolls, but locally, most hardware stores stock adhesive backed pads for floor sanders. 80 or 100 grit. This stuff hogs steel off quick. One tip with adhesive sandpaper... Change it out as soon as it slows down. Once you get through the worst, switch back to your regular procedure.
    Last edited by John C Cox; 03-05-2022 at 10:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal;[URL="tel:3181531"
    3181531[/URL]]You should have called them and explained the problem rather than spend all that time. Their customer service is outstanding. They would have taken care of it.
    This would’ve been my first thought also. We have come to expect so little for most companies but outfits like Lie Nielsen, Lee a ally, Holborn, and a few others are the exception. I have never had any of them failed to take care of me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by todd butler View Post
    You hit the nail on the head, the rough marks are from the factory grind.
    I would call Lie Nielsen and explain the issue.

Bellies sometimes happen. And I believe it can be hard to tell until you try and flatten the back. I guess I wouldn't say it's a sign of quality decline and instead just the reality of tool making.

When you watch blade smiths quench blades they can warp and they have to straighten them. Chisels can develop hollows or bellies. When I had my machining class in college I had to heat treat and quench some parts. We were taught after plunging to work the parts in a figure 8 to lessen the risk of distortion.

Keep us updated though.

I appreciate all the responses. For whatever reason I was so focused on getting the dang thing flat thst I didn't step bsck from the problem. I have to say the LN is so much lighter and better bslanced than my old Stanley no.40s.

If it's bellied on the side opposite the bevel, they beveled the wrong side to begin with. They were supposed to find the concave side, and then put the bevel on the other side.

Send it back.

This is how old fashioned water quenched chisels used to be made prior to WWII. I've got more than a few chisels with the touch mark on the bottom, presumably because they marked them prior to heat treatment.

LN machines their chisels out of A2 rod. A2 is an air hardening steel - it "quenches" in still air, and this reduces warpage and cracking by a giant margin. Most of the machining is completed prior to heat treatment. After heat treatment, they will do final grinding and clean up. From the sound of it, the bottom simply may not have been ground quite enough.

Quote Originally Posted by todd butler View Post
    I have purchased a number of Lie-Nielsen tools over the last 15 or so years and have always had zero complaints Wanting to replace my old chisel set I purchased one of their 1" bevel chisels and it was delivered this week. I spent over 2 hours flattening the back of the chisel before it was serviceable. Before I purchase more (as they become available) I wanted to see if this is typical of their newer tools or chisels? I would expect to spend 15-20 minutes but 2 hrs is excessive for an $85 chisel. I attached a pic of what it looked like after an hour of work on a course diamond stone and a few minutes on finer water stones so I could see where I was.[ATTACH=CONFIG]475261[/ATTACH
    Lie Nielsen will undoubtedly make this right. They are dealing with unprecedented demand for their goods right now: they are meeting the demand as well as any company could be expected to. They are, and in my opinion will continue to be, the preeminent supplier of WW handtools: lets cut them some slack.

while not a one inch chisel I received a 5/8" chisel last week and it was perfect. Back perfectly flat and about 2 minutes honing and it would shave. INMHO you received the rare one that wasn't correct. Contact customer service and I am sure they will make it right

Call LN. They will make it right.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”