Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time to replace my 3x21 belt sander

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Dave is that just a sander set up on a grinder body ? What is the RPM ?
    No, it is not.

• 7. 5 amp variable speed motor (no load speed: 290 to 640 RPM, no load orbit speed: 3300 to 7300 OPM)

it’s way more than that.
    https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...5-6n-200696-p/

Dave, how do you avoid cross grain scratches when using this on something wide in place of a belt sander? I can see how it would work well for scribes where the sanded edge isn't seen, but what about other uses?
    You obviously don’t - they are worked out with successfully finer grits like all other sanding operations. If you’re flattening a tabletop it’s likely you’re not going to be able to do it with a belt sander going with the grain 100% of the time. How would you remove those scratches ?
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 03-07-2022 at 10:49 PM.

I also have both. My Porter Cable 4x24 gets the most use. I have never had a problem finding belts for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    I also have both. My Porter Cable 4x24 gets the most use. I have never had a problem finding belts for it.
    Those 4x24 Porter Cables are easier to use than the 3 inch ones , the 3 inch will rock side to side for beginners.

I have a disc sander and it removes stock very fast but it doesn't flatten like a belt sander (or maybe it's me). I have or have access to almost every type of of sanding machine other than a stroke sander but when doing something like this I haven't found anything that beats a belt sander.
    chest top.jpg

3x24 Porter Cable 503 have to find a used ne as no longer made
    example PC 503

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    3x24 Porter Cable 503 have to find a used ne as no longer made
    example PC 503
    I had one that style (in an earlier post I called it a locomotive style sander). It was a great sander and I wish mine hadn't died. There's a brass gear that connects the drive shaft going to the chain to the motor armature that wore out on mine. It was still possible to get back when mine died but it was a major job to get to it so the tool repair guy wanted more than it was worth to repair it. I was going to do it myself but I ended up selling it in parts for $25 as I had too many other projects. I'm not sure if I want to buy a sander that hasn't been made in almost 20 years. Parts, like that brass gear, most likely to break are the ones that will be the hardest to find and I'm sure command a high price if they can even be found. The 503 has an oil bath chain and mine had a very small leak. The output shaft was slightly rusted. Wasn't a problem using it but if it sat for some time I would have to add oil. I'm just looking for a tool that can sit on a shelf for months that I can pick and just use.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Dinasours are good, didnt you watch the Flintstones?

absolutely the BEST ACTOR EVER!!! 15C1D722-3051-4BFF-97E3-4708C4E31088_4_5005_c.jpeg

I think we all need to find ways to work at we are comfortable with and give us the results we want/need. I wouldn't fault anybody for wanting to continue to use a belt sander. They work and remove material quickly. They also do not make swirl marks. If you do not want to try a Festool Rotex or a much less expensive but otherwise similar Bosch, that's OK with me. There have been many who thought track saws had little to offer versus a circular saw and guide. Most if not all who tried one found out otherwise. I think big orbital sanders with a rotary mode are a little bit similar. You don't have to have one and there are other ways to do the work, but it is a very nice alternative to have which is in some ways better.

My biggest complaint with my belt sander is not results, it's that the belts take up a fair bit of space to store and seem to come apart at the seam too often when they get old. It is not as versatile a tool as my Bosch DEVS 1250. I can do final finish sanding with the Bosch in orbital mode and I have used it in rotary mode with a 40 grit disk to take decades of paint off siding on my house. I have used my belt sander to 150 grit but never above and always make a pass with an orbital with 220 grit afterwards on furniture. I do not like a belt sander to flush up door joints or face frame joints or things like that. I see a belt sander as a less versatile tool than a dual mode orbital. Both can be excellant useful tools but the dual mode orbital is more versatile.

Blog Entries
    At one time I had both the PC 3x21 and the PC 4x24. I still have the smaller one as it seemed to actually remove material faster than the bigger one.
    NOW you tell me...

FWIW - I find a belt sander occasionally works for me on certain applications. I have an older 3 x 21 Craftsman and a newer 3 x 21 HF. Yes, HF - made out of plastic, it is lighter and easier to maneuver. With only occasional use, I saw no reason to spend for a higher priced name brand. It performs just as good as the Craftsman.