Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routers for raised panels

Routers for raised panels

Looking for recommendations. I'm downsizing my shop and after selling my shapers bought a Grizzly sliding router table. I also have a Woodpecker fixed table with their router lift
    Now looking for routers that will handle large raised panel bits and thinking 3.5hp but which would be better a plunge router or fixed base for the sliding table? Thanks

My preferred is a fixed base and a lift but either will work. Having a router dedicated to the router table is most important to me.

Thanks and both will have dedicated routers.

I use the big PC 15A router table motor in my home made router table with built in lift. Works great. But despite it's power, I always take at least 3 cuts to raise a panel. I once made a whole kitchen worth of cabinets with oak raised panel doors using a router to make the cuts. It works, you just have to go slower.

CFCCBEFC-2B54-4B37-801E-C4316B80F7B1.jpgI used a Triton TRA001 router, allegedly 3 hp, to raise panels in my new old house. Really, lots of panels. I used a bit from Infinity and cut them in one pass on MDF (paint grade, obviously). We have a panelled library, staircase and doors. At least 400 panels in total. The results were very very good.

This is my third router table because I keep quitting woodworking then do something dumb like decide to build a period house. I chose the Triton for its self-raising feature more than anything.

I touched up the bit at least three times using small diamond plates by the way, and a pro re-sharpen.

Oh yeah…I also did a bunch of panelled shutters in cedar. Two passes there because real wood.

I have a Milwaukee 5625-20. It's a fixed base.

Glenn Bradly correctly called the big Milwaukee - "Raw stupid power". I agree with that 100%.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm also preferential to a big, 15 amp fixed base router motor with a lift for this application. If I was interested in doing a little more engineering. I'd consider an air cooled spindle with a VFD like I have on my CNC for the "ultimate" in control.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-26-2022 at 9:42 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just curious Jim, what's the voltage and HP on your CNC?

Blog Entries
    You can also cut raised panels on your table saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Just curious Jim, what's the voltage and HP on your CNC?
    My spindle is 1.7kw. The machine connects to 240v, 30a, 4-wire. (L14) The next step up in offered spindles for the machine is 3kw and that steps things up to 40a. This is for steppers. Folks who upgrade to servos only need 3 wire.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My spindle is 1.7kw. The machine connects to 240v, 30a, 4-wire. (L14) The next step up in offered spindles for the machine is 3kw and that steps things up to 40a. This is for steppers. Folks who upgrade to servos only need 3 wire.
    You can make raised panels on a CNC if you have a decent size machine. The shop that I work in doesn’t have a CNC but we often talk about what all we would do if we had one. We could mill raised panels, cut and dado our hardwood face frame stock, make one piece MDF doors among many other useful things.

I have 2 PC speedomatics, one plunge one fixed base , the fixed base lives in the router table . I've had them both over 20 years , can't kill em . I laugh at the price tag on the comparable festool 2200 every time I use either one...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stray View Post
    I have 2 PC speedomatics, one plunge one fixed base , the fixed base lives in the router table . I've had them both over 20 years , can't kill em . I laugh at the price tag on the comparable festool 2200 every time I use either one...

I have a couple Porter Cable 3.5hp fixed base and a Festool 2200. The Festool would be wasted in a table. The Festool is extremely user friendly and precise. Its also heavy. I used it to cut patterns in 3/4" plywood for a curved staircase, the router is a work of art. Its just too heavy for a regular user.

I tend to agree with you lol.

Yea, that 2200 is a beast of a machine...really awesome when you need that extra braun and power, but not a 'daily user' for general tasks unless one is a total gorilla in arm strength!
    --

Blog Entries
    Still using my old 3.5 hp Hitachi M12V plunge router in a Woodpeckers lift designed for it.
    NOW you tell me...