Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw drift

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    LAP books are all priced pretty much due to low quantity and high quality.
    I would really, really argue about high quality of their books. The ones that I've purchased had tons of typos (ocr text wasn't proof read? idk), don't respect any single rule from book publishing and layout (these are engineering books after all, and there are rules on how such a book must be laid out), had a bunch of arbitrary filler material (who cares about ads from 1930?) and contents just isn't of the highest quality as they advertise it. E.g. their Hayward reprint is basically a waste of money, esp. the red volume - it's just a collection of article magazines, often by the same author, covering the same topic several times. All volumes had their covers cupped in a month of sitting on a shelf. For the money I think I could have just purchased original magazines.

LAP did a great job restoring drawings in Wearing's and Hayward's publications, that's undeniable. This and maybe some better quality paper were the only things I found to be true to their advertisement. Also, I'm talking about reprinted issues specifically, books written by authors like Peter Follansbee, Peter Galbert and others are way better in terms of content.

I wasn't critiquing content, that gets very specific very quickly (plus, there's a considerable amount of personal hatred for Schwarz around here, so doing so is pointless IMO). Paper is high quality, so is the book binding IME. Neither of those things, are cheap. Especially if you're making low quantity runs. I haven't had any cupping on any of the LAP books I have.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 03-23-2022 at 2:39 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dover View Post
    E.g. their Hayward reprint is basically a waste of money, esp. the red volume - it's just a collection of article magazines, often by the same author, covering the same topic several times. All volumes had their covers cupped in a month of sitting on a shelf. For the money I think I could have just purchased original magazines.
    Honest Labor: The Charles H. Hayward Years description
    “Honest Labour” is a collection of essays from The Woodworker magazine while the legendary Charles H. Hayward was editor (1936-1966). This book will be the fifth and final volume in our series from The Woodworker.

So yes, it is a collection of articles by the same author who invariably over his gazillion years as contributor and editor would have rehashed topics. In the case of H.L., the ads are included because they are contemporaneous to the time the essay was published and provide some context.

As to the issues with covers cupping, I've not experienced that. YMMV depending on environmental conditions where the book is kept.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dover View Post
    I would really, really argue about high quality of their books. The ones that I've purchased had tons of typos (ocr text wasn't proof read? idk), don't respect any single rule from book publishing and layout (these are engineering books after all, and there are rules on how such a book must be laid out), had a bunch of arbitrary filler material (who cares about ads from 1930?) and contents just isn't of the highest quality as they advertise it. E.g. their Hayward reprint is basically a waste of money, esp. the red volume - it's just a collection of article magazines, often by the same author, covering the same topic several times. All volumes had their covers cupped in a month of sitting on a shelf. For the money I think I could have just purchased original magazines.

LAP did a great job restoring drawings in Wearing's and Hayward's publications, that's undeniable. This and maybe some better quality paper were the only things I found to be true to their advertisement. Also, I'm talking about reprinted issues specifically, books written by authors like Peter Follansbee, Peter Galbert and others are way better in terms of content.
    Of the books I have bought from LAP they have all been done well. Not sure about "tons of typos" though a few have been spotted. (note the use of well and not excellent or superb)

My only discomfort was one pocket book sized edition having small print that is a bit hard to see with my old eyes.

As far as book publishing rules and layout, many modern publishers seem to have abandoned those since the long gone days of lead type being set by hand.

Schwarz may have been a newspaper reporter and later a magazine editor, but it seems he is mostly a woodworker with a publishing venture on the side.

Maybe if approached by someone with a non-acerbic demeanor about "the art of book publishing" they could be convinced of the idea of winning prestigious publishing awards by adopting some of the Lost Arts of Publishing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am a little confused by your post. A cross cut carcass saw plate is 0.020" thick and only 2+ inches deep. So how do you make a 5" deep cut, or is it your cutting a 5" long cut?? Am I misreading this? Also the 0.020" plate is easily veered off course when going full depth. ie: friction build up from a 0.006 set total. The slightest side to side pressure can alter the course. Also check the cut for straightness. If the cut is curved it is most likely the set, the plate follows the teeth. If it is straight, most likely user. Hard maple is not the most friendly wood in the world to cut with a thin plate as it is. Best wishes.

I think I was using the wrong saw for the job. It was a crosscut tenon saw. I would have been better off with a panel saw but I was itching to try this new baby out.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I have a brand new Veritas Carcass crosscut saw and it seems to want to drift about 1/6"+ in 5 inches. I'm no expert at sawing and probably need some practice
    A day in the shop rarely goes by when I don't spend time sawing for practice (and fun). Get some scraps, mark them up across the top and down the edges with a square, and practice, practice, practice. Any time I've been suspicious of a problem with a saw, it has always ended up being the sawyer, not the saw (and I have owned and used many saws). Not happy with your sawing technique: change it up. Think about your stance, the alignment of your arm to the cut line, the height of the work: there are many variables that can lead to good or bad results.