Thread: will super glue hold tee track in place on wood fence

will super glue hold tee track in place on wood fence

I am making a fence for router table....looking for alternative to tiny screws

Maybe, but personally I wouldn’t take the chance. A bit spinning up to 17000 rpm is no place to have a glue joint fail. But then I’m extremely risk adverse.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Epoxy would be a way better choice than CA glue. But glue will only adhere to the surface it is in contact with, whereas screws can access the holding power of the entire thickness of however long the screw is. T-tracks can be under considerable stress at times. I would not rely on adhesive alone to hold it in place.

How about routing it with a T slot bit instead of using T-track?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I route the dado for the t-track about 1/32" deeper and use 5-minute epoxy. When I did this on my router table I had to take extra care to make sure the track didn't end up proud of the surface. The extra depth helps prevent that.

Temporarily, yes. It could also be used as a "two adhesive" method where the CA provides the "fast tack" for positioning while a much stronger adhesive, appropriate for metal to wood, does the heavy lifting, such as an epoxy. But honestly, I'd still use the screws because of the kinds of stresses that can be put on tee track used for multiple purposes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    How about routing it with a T slot bit instead of using T-track?
    I'm a fan of doing this wherever possible. Once you get used to using a T slot bit and milling your own, you will never buy T-track again, and you can place it wherever you want.

In the for what it's worth category... I've used medium and thick ca glues for aluminum to hardwood and aluminum to MDF with a light sanding of both surfaces to remove any oxidation on the aluminum and provide a little tooth using 150-180 my grit. My general experience is the wood or MDF fails before the glue. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use ca to attach tee track in a well fitted dado.