Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering..

Lets see, IF I have a photo of one of the long board's grain..
    new lumber supply, long details.JPG
    4 planks like this one...7/8" by 5-1/2" by 74".....cost me a whopping $12 for the 4 of them....@ $3 per board...quarter sawn Ash..

Will start tomorrow and start a Build-along, as well....

BTW..it has taken just about 8 generations, to lose a very pronounced Irish accent....that still shows up a bit when I get tired....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-02-2022 at 1:15 AM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Hmmm..This table is to replace a Plant Stand in the front windows....a cheap pile of sticks, that the Fur-balls keep knocking over, while trying to look out the window ( Squirrel/Bird Patrol?) Want something that I do not have to stand back up everytime I turn around....Thinking MAYBE a Shaker INSPIRED table.....something to set the planters on ( a towel, too) and not allow a cat to knock things over....

First would be get the size of the top I need...match up a few blanks for best grain....whether to make it of 3 boards (15" total) or 4 boards ( @20").....by 36" long...

We'll see...and...any drawer would be on the long apron....so I'll need to see what width aprons I can go with...

Just wondering...and thinking out loud....hmmm..tapered legs?

i

Blog Entries
    Steven, the answer is very simple: Norm planned out all he built, and created dimensional plans for each project. These were later sold to those wishing to build the project. As I recall, the adironback chairs he made were considered classics, and the plans are still in demand.
    Not being a regular viewer the one thing that does stick in my mind was from a conversation with someone who was a regular viewer. They said that Norm always made three of any project for his program to show different stages of the process.

On another home shop program this concept was spotted when during the steps of the project there was a definite change in the grain pattern of a surface.

The convenience of editing video sadly doesn't work in the shop.

My latest project didn't have a single thing committed to paper or computer screen. It was kind of funny at one point how it came about realizing there needed to be a couple more pieces to be cut.

It is a spool for salvaging a few hundred feet of barbed wire from fences where a field is being rearranged.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Shop of mine does not have the budget that some do....no prototypes are ever built. Not enough lumber for such things.

Letting the planks tell me where to cut...
    April Project, bad ends, leg stock.JPG
    Boards average 5-1/2" wide, by 6'5" long...cut 4 blanks for the table's top..
    April Project, letting it adjust.JPG
    Couldn't use the tablesaw, so...old school..
    April Project, Disston D-100,7ppi.JPG
    Blanks are 33" long...4 blanks laid out flat made a panel 22-1/2" wide.....will whittle that down a bit...and get them ready to glue up.

Again..this is all in my head...no paper has been harmed..YMMV..

Ok...that was strange.....photos I thought I had lost...have returned...
    April Project, blanks laid out.JPG
    This is a rough layout of the 4 blanks for a table top....the same photo that went AWOL earlier today, along with the entire file...

Worked a bit tonight,,went to process the new photos....and there was the MIA Photos, and their File..like they had never left..

Weird.....Gremlins? Makes ya wonder?

Just wondering, again...
    Does this stretch of Ash have any use...other than fire wood?
    April Project, trash board.JPG
    Tree was being a bit...Knotty...

Might get even clear wood, depending on how wide the aprons will by...to make on End Apron...for the table

That saw is a Disston D-100 ( the 100 is inside of the D) so it is at least from before 1928....almost 100 years old...handle fits my hand like a glove...has a nice "ring" to it in use...
    April Project, 1st blank for top.jpg
    Basically, a D-8 with a fancy, carved handle....cuts fast (7ppi) and true....enough that I can split a line.

Might just be a Keeper?

Well, I am late to this party, but my not so professional opinion is this. What ever method or tools work best for you is what you need. Every thing else is a convenient option. End of story. Do we need a Tesla to go from point A to B or would a ford focus work?
    My little dovetail tools I make were designed and made at the request of a gentleman who makes 18th century furniture. He was using a putty knife at the time. As a once upon a time painting apprentice I used my red devil putty knives for all sorts of chiseling, prying, glazing, etc. The Swiss army knife of painters. Red devil used to make three different thicknesses, and yes I had multiples of all three. I found tapping on card scrapers and/or putty knives either broke the handles eventually or damaged the mallet head. Unless a metal hammer was used as in my painting days, and that would damage the putty knife. My first version of my dovetail tool was basically a putty knife with an 0.025" plate fastened into a slotted piece of brass. Dumped that version because it eventually damaged the wooden mallet. We woodworkers do tend to be like automobile owners. Some want the Tesla and others do just as well with the little ford focus. Your craftsmanship is all that really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I run a woodshop, not a Photo Studio...
    That was a pretty good one. I'll have to remember that one the next time someone tells me I need a bigger shop.

Again..just thinking out loud...edges have been ripped to remove most of the waviness...second attempt at grain matching..
    Ripping Day, busy end.JPG
    Too much? Add a Bread board end across this landscape?

Have work for the Stanley No. 8c...
    Ripping Day, second try, grain match.JPG
    To joint those edges for a glue up....

I do have ONE leg blank in the clamps, tonight..
    Ripping Day, 1st Leg Glue-up.JPG
    Trying to match up grain on these 8 pieces....
    Ripping Day, 4 leg blanks.JPG

Will glue the other 3 up later.

Blank for the table top is at 7/8" x 18" x 33"......legs are looking like 1-3/4" x 1-3/4" x 20"....sound about right? With or without bread board ends?

Width to rip the aprons to?

Just thinking and wondering out loud...happens every project...

From the Just Wondering Department.....
    Have the Stanley No.8c all set up and ready to go.

Boards are 33" long....

To check how straight an edge....I do have a 3' Tinner's Ruler ( steel yard stick) that I could use.....OR.....a 4' Level....That I can just sit on the edges, and be free to look for any gaps...

Which would you all use?

Also...would the No. 8c be too big of a plane....

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    I couldn’t have said it better.

Just to be perfectly clear, I don’t have a problem with Steven’s touting the rescue and rehabbing of his rust hunting finds. I’ve done it myself, just not to the extent that he does. What I strongly object to is his passive aggressive mocking and denigration directed at those of us who appreciate and invest in high quality tools from modern toolmakers. If not for the likes of Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley and countless other artisan toolmakers, woodworking would stagnate and likely turn into the pursuit of IKEA type furniture.
    Steven in my opinion is doing a little tongue in cheek poking at the nothing but the best tool crowd. He does a lot of great work in a minimalist shop (dungeon) with basic tools. I wouldn't feel threatened by his ribbing. I have some vintage tools and some premium. As the cost of vintage approaches the cost of premium I go with premium. At least I found out what I like and use before going premium. Steven is a great guy and has helped me out as I was getting into woodworking by donating a miter box saw. I needed a screw to replace one missing on my just purchased Stanley 78 so he taped it to the saw. Can be a little dry delivery on humor but is someone I can call a friend.

Some need to read a bit further down...as there are a few questions I am asking (nicely)

Mainly to do with the current Project.....

Those that still want to fuss & fight...can carry on elsewhere....I have "moved on".....take it for what it is....

From the "Just Wondering" department...

Did you know...those F style clamps sold at Harbor Freight, have Lifetime Warranty .....Had a 24" one, that the rubber grip handle had broke...took it in to the store..walked back out with a brand new one, no charge.

Did you know....that those ads you get in your email from harbor Freight....and have trouble getting them to print out..or don't have a printer...Well, there is a number at the bottom of each coupon, you copy that number down, give it to the clerk at check-out time....and they will ring that number up...and give you it's discount...

Did you know....that Stanley made a "Boy-proof" block plane? The No. 118 Steel bodied, low angle block plane.....can even be dropped onto a concrete classroom floor, with no damage.
    Steel plane.JPG
    Just wondering, again...

From the "Just wondering" Department:

Mortise & Tenon.

Mortise or tenon first?

I MIGHT try doing the mortises first...
    Thursday Shoptime 2, Mortise tools.JPG
    Then try to fit tenons to them....

Have a few to do...
    Thursday Shoptime 2, test.JPG
    Have found that IF I do the bead details first on the aprons...
    Thursday Shoptime 2, short apron beaded.JPG
    That when I remove the waste for the tenons....any chip-out from the plane's cutter exit point...goes with the waste...

So....Mortise first..or Tenon first?