Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robust American Beauty vs Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I’m blown away! There appears to be a $3000+ difference between the PM and AB. The Robust lathe is well loved, seldom hear a bad word about it. But 3G difference? I would be pleased to be enlightened. Somewhere someone must have done a head to head hands on comparison.

Actually you ought to be comparing the PM 4224 (not a 3520) to the AB in terms of specs -- when I checked recently, there was relatively little difference in price (less than $1000 difference depending on options chosen for the AB). Having owned a 3520B, there would be no choice (and wasn't -- I replaced the PM with an AB). I used a Sweet 16 for a weeklong class at Arrowmont -- very nice but I much prefer a sliding headstock, so I went AB. I previously had a Jet 1642 for years and preferred it to the PM. I still have the 1642.

I have the American Beauty because I like a sliding head.

Someone one asked why not just buy a 3520 and save $3,000. For the extra money, I got a 3hp motor, 24" diameter swing and a tilt away tailstock. Oh, I also have a long bed, so I may have exceeded the $3,000 difference. Worth every penny to me.

I can't compare them, as I've never turned on the Sweet 16. I will say I have no reason to even begin to regret going with the AB. As with everything, it depends on what you want the tool to do, I suppose. I'm not sure in what way the Sweet 16 might be superior beyond price and perhaps portability. If you're a pen turner either is undoubtedly overkill, though I've made quite a few nice pens on my AB. I can also core out 24" bowls that I have no use for but have a lot of fun making. I have not yet found, and don't really expect to find, any use for which the AB is inadequate to my skills and needs. For better or worse, I'm at the point where I can't really plan on future upgrades of tools so I just get things that I think will exceed my needs and skills for as long as I'll be able to use them. It's a fortunate position to be in.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I'm definitely going to go with the AB. Now for the fun of having a basement shop. Luckily I only have about 10 bulkhead steps to go down that are a straight shot and with easy access from outside. And whoever buys my 3520b will have to get it out of the basement. From what I've read it shouldn't be too bad.

Now to get out to Trent's next week and then let the waiting game begin.

Good call on the AB. In a few years you won't miss the money and won't have lingering regrets. I'd miss the 3HP motor for bowl coring operations.

Tip: the lathe can be built with pluggable headstock wiring, letting you fully disassemble it. I used to have a similar basement shop situation and was able to move it down (and later back up when I moved) in pieces on a hand truck. This task you'll likely want to leave to people with younger backs, but at least the loads are more maneuverable.