Thread: FICO score update emails, Scam?

FICO score update emails, Scam?

I get emails one a week that my credit score has been updated. I never open them thinking they may be a scam. I do not plan to take out any loans for the rest of my life. Keep our one credit card which we pay off in full every month. I do not really care what my credit score is.
    Are these a scam? They want me to log into the site to look.
    Bill D.

Not really a scam. Just unsubscibe and you wont see the emails anymore.

It is good to keep account of your FICO score.

1. If you ever need credit, a high score will help you.
    2. If your score suddenly goes down, you might want to check for identify theft.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It depends upon where/who the email is coming from. Many banks and card issuers include credit score "monitoring" as part of being their customer at this point. If you are interested in the information, you do not have to click on anything in the email...just go to your normal login for that financial institution and navigate to the service from there. It will be in the menus or other call-outs for account holders.

But there absolutely are nefarious folks out there that send messages like this. The key to not getting taken is to not just assume it's legitimate and click on something. Verify.

BTW, relative to Mike's mention of FICO, many financial firms offering this service are using other scoring systems which, while providing a similar number, may not be the same as FICO. There's a big of competition out there including specialized scores for things like mortgage consideration which you may never see as a consumer.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-26-2022 at 3:23 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I never click on any link in any email. I would just delete it.

The email is probably legit - but - if you don't use credit, then delete it.

Since you don't use your credit - you should probably freeze it so nobody can hack your credit.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

As others have said it depends on where/who it's coming from. If it's from a bank or card you have or have had then it's probably legit. I don't use the unsubscribe unless I am certain it's a legit site. To easy for it to be bogus and all you are doing is verifying the email address as being good. Then they can really flood it with bogus emails. My Discover card has a free score attached to it. All Amazon and PayPal go to it. Like you do it is paid off every month. I also use Free Credit Score to monitor any suspicious activity. I have no debt and watch for anything suspicious that might go on. New accounts etc. Fortunately that hasn't happened and hopefully it won't.

I have gotten them from the issuer of Costco's Visa card, Citibank.