Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

28 Mar 2022

Greetings,
    Spent some time in the shop this past week. No real work done on the queen bed but I did get over a sinus infection and managed to finish a fireplace mantle that was made from some really old barn cypress wood. Also started making an old barn door for a sliding bathroom door for a new home being built by a customer of mine. This week, since I'm well again, I'll get back to working the queen bed project for my son as well as finishing up the barn door project so my buddy can come pick it up.

I'm glad to be well again and The LOML will tell you that I make a terrible patient and that I absolutely hate being sick at any time.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

I drilled holes in two slab doors, one exterior and one interior, for the house I m working on. I'd never done that job before so I was a little nervous but it all went fine with Forstner bits. The hard part was propping the doors up on a rolling work table so they were level onto the drill press table to drill the big hole.

On the work side of things I put the finishing touches on 4 banjos, which was good, but one of the three custom banjo customers has said his catalytic converter was stolen so he can't pay. It has a left handed neck, so I may have trouble finding another buyer. I've not had a customer renege on a custom build for well over 100 banjos, so overall it's not very important.

Not much woodworking. Due to abundant rains and warm days, had to cut grass on both Monday, and again on Saturday. Sprayed weed killer on lawn. Pruned our grape vine, plus two for 104 year old friend who can no longer take care of hers. Worked on HVAC in our Chrysler T&C. One of the actuators has gone crazy. To get to them, you have to remove lower dash (31 screws + eight bolts , plus remove drivers seat.) Then have to work in a TINY area, into which my hand barely fits. Everything has to be done by feel, as my hand blocks line of site. Replaced the oil pressure sending switch on our Ford Areostar. Been getting exchange switches (lifetime warranty) from AutoZone. This time bought one from Advance. Hopefully it will last more than a couple months. I've changed them so much, I can do it in less than an hour. Mixed up several drums (60 gal) of potting soil, getting ready to start self wicking buckets. Pepper seedling popped thru this week. Takes two week for this to happen. Need to transplant tomato seedling into cell packs this week. Still picking up storm debris. Would have burned pile after rain (I cover it with a tarp to keep it dry) but next day wind was gusting to around 40 MPH. Went to church on Sunday, and lazed around the house yesterday afternoon.

'Tis the season for sinus things, Dennis, and I'm glad you're feeling a little better!

Interesting week for me, although I really didn't "do" a whole lot of things that I probably should have. LOL But the one thing I did do is make a preliminary decision on the "what" and "from whom" for my shop building which is a big step. I hope to sign up for some real financial pain sometime this week. I also ordered a few things I'm going to need to do the ground prep, including a nice toothbar for the Big Orange Power Tool (which is actually a small, but mighty Kubota BX-22) and the laser system I intend to use for both that work and interior stuff once a building is up. (Also scarfed some lightweight safety toe Keen shoes on clearance from Duluth Trading)

This week I have a little CNC design and cut work to do for a friend so I'll be using these couple of unusually cold days to sit at my desk and do the design and toolpathing work. And there is a little more yard cleanup necessary once it's back to warm later in the week.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built some beer flight holders that my wife is going to personalize and then give to some of her girlfriends. One is white oak, while the other two are walnut. Not shown are the notches underneath that serve as the handles.

holders-2.jpg holder_glasses.jpg holder_glasses_2.jpg

Knowing that I would be making more than one of these, I made some templates to make things easier and repeatable. And since I will probably end up making even more of these later, the work will be fairly straightforward next time.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I installed a large bathroom fan/light/heater and came up with an easy way to wire it single-handed. It was near a door, so I clamped two bar clamps to the top of the door as a shelf. I'll keep this 80" shelf in mind for future projects near the ceiling.

Finally finished the build on my Clearvue and ducting to the bandsaw, jointer, and planer. Still have a pile of PVC to extend it to the RAS and drill press. The build was a 4-year process in part because we moved halfway through it.

Also transplanted some pines and chipped away at some of the projects cluttering up the workspace.

Mike, clever idea for making a temporary high shelf!

I got all the doors in my hallway project cased, including the one where the wall was badly out of plumb. I had to roll the miters where the jamb was proud, and cut back the sheet rock where it was proud, but it came out looking pretty good, with no noticeable gaps. The careful eye can spot that the casing is twisted a bit, but it's far less obvious than big gaps would be. I got a start on the baseboard, but that was interrupted by a short trip with my wife to celebrate my birthday. We stayed in a cabin at Salt Fork State park and enjoyed the hot tub. Weather was not great, but we found plenty of inside things to do. And....we stopped at Colonial Homestead and Keim Home center on the way to the park. I managed to restrain myself and only bought a pair of vintage dividers at CH, and a few small things at Keim. CH is a must visit place for anyone looking for vintage hand tools of any type; it's an amazing place. And Keim has a huge selection of modern tools of all types, plus a good selection of domestic and exotic hardwoods. We would have stopped at Hartville on the way back but they are closed on Sunday. I get there fairly often anyway. Hope to finish the baseboards this week and then plan to switch to doing outside work as weather permits. I'll work on the garage hallway as time permits.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

20220324_172112.jpg20220324_172116.jpg
    CNC is setup and running first 2 things to come off it. More for testing/learning then anything.

I turned the corner on my credenza. Some finishing and it'll only be the sliding doors left. That's a good thing, as things are heating up here.

~mike

happy in my mud hut