Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help: new stop & waste valve leaking in unexpected place

With a union, and a couple of male threaded adapters soldered in place, no soldering will be needed whenever the valve needs to be replaced again.

I have second, and third owners of houses I sold over 35 years ago stop by my house and thank me, every so often for such planning. Most of them have to drive past my house to get to their lake house, which are all close to our house. One even gave us a 100 dollar gift card to a local restaurant for leaving a conduit from the road into the basement utility room with a pulling line in it.

I call those type of valves as "ball valves". I refer to the other type of valves as "gate valves". To me a "stop and waste" valve is like the one I use on my irrigation sprinkler system which when you close the valve actually drains the line on the output side of the valve. My irrigation and sprinkler "stop and waste" ball valve is at a depth of 4' to prevent freezing. The line raises up shortly there after to a depth of about 8".
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    When valves were made in Waterbury Connecticut we did not have this problem. Many imported valves are not up to the heat of soldering. I use tinning flux + solder and low heat if I have to solder a valve that I can't take apart. Soldering is becoming a thing of the past in drinking water systems. Lead free solder is very fussy and requires too much heat.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I'd suggest cutting it out and installing a pair of unions and then replace it. Or, I suppose that you could cut on the left side, unscrew the joint that is leaking and then do something to seal it. After it is thought to be sealed, then put in a slip type coupling. The slip type is the one where it can be slid up the copper pipe (no dimples or ridges to restrict it).

When I've had a fussy threaded fitting, sometimes pipe dope or teflon tape works. But when all else fails, I've used a silicon sealant liberally applied. It fills all the gaps. Let it cure then pressurize.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I call those type of valves as "ball valves". I refer to the other type of valves as "gate valves". To me a "stop and waste" valve is like the one I use on my irrigation sprinkler system which when you close the valve actually drains the line on the output side of the valve. My irrigation and sprinkler "stop and waste" ball valve is at a depth of 4' to prevent freezing. The line raises up shortly there after to a depth of about 8".
    Third type is a globe valve. A ball valve does not restrict flow as much as the other two.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Third type is a globe valve. A ball valve does not restrict flow as much as the other two.
    Bill D.
    Depends if it's a "full port" ball valve. A gate valve shouldn't restrict any flow unless it's not opened all the way, but should never be used to throttle flow.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Operating a gate valve after using a ball valve is kind of like going back to hand crank windows in cars.

I only see that type of valve used to supply water to a swamp cooler.
    Bill D

Here the swamps are too big to cool, except in winter

Bill D.
    Thanks, "globe valve" brought back the memory of the dreaded "globe valve" final in high school drafting class.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Generally rebuilding valves is for cost(large expensive valves) and necessity. repacking stems is done often in situations where replacing the valve is either impossible or would take the system out of commission for long periods of time etc.

These valves are common at home depot/lowes. Generally they are not found at plumbing supplies. It does look like the valve may have been overheated or the oring was pinched at the factory. best bet is to cut it out and start over with a standard ball valve.

Bill D.
    Bill, here's a link to the valve I call a "waste and drain" valve. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOMEWERK...-1-1/206091396
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-04-2022 at 9:28 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    When valves were made in Waterbury Connecticut we did not have this problem. Many imported valves are not up to the heat of soldering. I use tinning flux + solder and low heat if I have to solder a valve that I can't take apart. Soldering is becoming a thing of the past in drinking water systems. Lead free solder is very fussy and requires too much heat.
    I have no problems with lead free soldier. I use LACO brand flux, which is what the plumbing supply house carry in our area. It's self cleaning, so you don't have to bright polish the pipe before soldiering. Heat the pipe and let the heat travel to the valve.

Just a postscript:

My son-in-law replaced the weeping valve. It came apart easily. There was no o-ring or washer involved, just closely mated parts and a little sealant on the threads.

5EFB6B02-15A6-43C8-B038-DA39A2110B5A.jpg

I suspect that, after a little cleanup and a little sealant before reassembly, it would be as good (or bad) as new.