Thread: Asphalt Mats for Soundproofing, Will They Melt Indoors?

Asphalt Mats for Soundproofing, Will They Melt Indoors?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for ways to soundproof my floor (which my workbench sits on).

At the homecenter here locally, they sell these super heavy, high density asphalt mats. I'm not sure what they are for, but they're labeled "Soundproofing Asphalt Mat" in Japanese. They're about 1/4" thick, and I thought few layers of them might add some density to the floor to absorb vibrations, along with whatever else I decide to employ.

My worry is that I know asphalt melts and can get tarry, and I sure as heck don't want that mess on my apartment floor! It gets quite hot here in Japan during the summer, and I was wondering if this could be a problem? I've seen the messes these things can make in vehicles, which scared me. If I put my bench near a window, might I come back and find it melted on some hot summer day when I was away with the AC off?
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 04-03-2022 at 8:41 PM.

I have no experience with those, but i'd be concerned about them giving off an odor
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

No experience with those either, but it sounds like a bad idea.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Hi Luke, there are good resources on the web regarding sound proofing. Most of the techniques involve "decoupling". A high density layer floating on springs, foam or soft rubber is common.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Haven't tried them for soundproofing, but the 4'x6' heavy rubber stall mats from Tractor Supply would add a lot of density and weight. They are around 100 lbs each if memory serves and I have them in my portable shed and on my concrete garage. They certainly should help dampen noises some, but I've never tried for pure noise reduction.

Might not suit your purpose, but I swear by these 'anti-fatigue' mats from HF...
    fm.jpg

When I decided to change my garage into more workspace, I covered
    almost the whole floor with these things, they've been down for 9 years now,
    not very pretty but MUCH nicer to walk on than a bare cement floor-
    mfm.jpg

great pads to kneel or lay on when working on cars on the driveway. At $10 to cover over 16 sq ft, they're a bargain...

No, I don't work for HF
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle