Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wide belt sander with planer head

This thread makes me wonder about the people who say you shouldn't rout after sanding because there will be grit in the wood which will dull your bit. It seems like there would be a lot of grit in the wood in a machine that planes and sands in one pass. Do the knives in these planer heads get dull unusually fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    That's quite a dust collector! Their website says they are "silent" - any idea what's special about them compared to any other bagger? Slower motor?
    I have no idea, I am yet to unload the machine and plug it in. replacing extractor is a mission because the workshop is cluttered...

the motor operates at 3000rpm. probably just the noise from the fan and material travelling through?

Here is an awesome sander/planer : https://www.ironwoodmachinery.com/co...-planer-sander
    Should fit all work : > )

Here is a Instagram link to Creative Woodwork in Portland that has a Costa planer- sander.they are a state of the art millwork shop. This particular feed talks about changing the inserts on it. If you read through the post they discuss what’s involved with the knife change and why he prefers straight Tersa knives in his jointer and planer.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B9VKjRUj...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 04-09-2022 at 5:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    This thread makes me wonder about the people who say you shouldn't rout after sanding because there will be grit in the wood which will dull your bit. It seems like there would be a lot of grit in the wood in a machine that planes and sands in one pass. Do the knives in these planer heads get dull unusually fast?
    In the case of these sanders the planer head is first so that would not be a issue. Myself I have never experienced problems with wide belt or other sanding grit affecting tooling. Abrasive planing with coarse grit belts will have a dulling effect on HSS planer and shaper knives. Ask anyone who has used abrasive planed alder.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Abrasive planing with coarse grit belts will have a dulling effect on HSS planer and shaper knives. Ask anyone who has used abrasive planed alder.
    For real! I wonder how much is from abrasive grit and how much is the dirt that seems to get vacuumed into the open grain seconds after it is exposed...
    JR

All the euro beech I’ve used is also abrasive planed but have not run enough to see if it’s as bad.
    what are your thoughts on the planer sanders JR? when Albert was asking I was thinking you might be one shop that could justify one.

I would definitely benefit from a Planer/Sander/Sander configuration, but not enough to justify the expense. Seems perfect for processing solid door panels.
    JR

I would assume, and I don't know, does the planer head just get used separately from the sander ? I have a 37" Wide Belt and have never been one to make only one pass after running through the planer. It seems like you would either use it as a planer or a sander but doing both, would the sanding be sufficient ?

Here is a canadian guy with his widebelt and story. He explained that model well. At the end he says hes trading it in and getting one with planing and sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KtlGQgr7cc

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I would assume, and I don't know, does the planer head just get used separately from the sander ? I have a 37" Wide Belt and have never been one to make only one pass after running through the planer. It seems like you would either use it as a planer or a sander but doing both, would the sanding be sufficient ?
    You could use it either way. The original post pic shows air actuated drums (the drum spindle/shaft is eccentricly mounted in the bearings), so you can engage/disengage each head independently. But I agree that it would not be a true finished surface coming out unless you are aiming for 120 grit or so.
    JR