Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Useless turning….but fun!

Useless turning….but fun!

First time turning a goblet. 11” tall, unknown wood (but very soft). I know the proportions are off but the wood was about 12” and I was just trying to see how tall I could go. I did the captive rings with a small homemade skew but will grind a designated tool if doing again.
    FA31F022-210F-4010-80CF-02AC0A72FDD8.jpg

My wife said “Looks good….maybe some day you’ll make something useful”.
    Tom

Real nice ! But why did you glue up those rings out of light and dark wood ? Kinda’ gives away the magic trick ! Ha ha ha …now yah have to paint them ! Next time use solid color wood !! That’s all I got

Mel, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he didn't glue those rings in there. He said he cut them out using a skew.

I agree, the light and dark wood is reflected in the wood goblet.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Nice goblet! I think the proportions look good also. I wouldn't say it was useless turning either because you were practicing and honing your skills. I took a class with Jimmy Clewes years ago and we made a long thin stem goblet to push ourselves and practice fine tool control. The goblet is in my display case and I think of the class every time I look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post

My wife said “Looks good….maybe some day you’ll make something useful”.
    Tom
    next time tell her....but Darling this chalice is not a utility but a song of love inspired by our rings of life together-I want to place my final prayerupon your plush velvet neck
    murmuring my needs warmly
    on that expressway where the crossroads of love and lust unite
    focusing the steam of my soul there
    confessing wholeheartedly
    that my heart cannot move without you,
    with my thick, steady hand rotating around your priceless grail
    feeling the communion of our desire come to life
    as your mouth becomes the chalice that holds my heartbeat
    in this moment that confirms our sanctity

...I could fill the back of my pickup with useless fun turnings

If it is fun, it is not useless.
    Rather reminds me of the old joke about a wife complaining about her husband's hobby taking too much time away from her (woodworking, cars, golf, whatever...). The alternatives are becoming a nonfunctional alcoholic, having a mistress, or making things on the lathe. Choose one...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    If it is fun, it is not useless.
    Amen! I turn for pleasure, not for sale. If it is not fun, I try turning something else.

Note that those rings are not interlocked so he did not give away the magic trick. Wine glasses with interlocking rings make great wedding gifts. Of the dozens I have made for friends and relatives I only know of one that was used for a toast at the wedding. That must make the rest of them useless.

Well I did some useless turning today also. Well maybe not totally useless. I wanted to try out my new to me Jet 1642 EVS lathe for the first time. Grabbed a piece of really dry black walnut and started to turn a small bowl. Lathe preformed beautifully.Is a vast improvement over my Jet 1236. Wood was too dry and full of cracks. Made a nice piece of firewood though. Jim

I think the goblet looks nice and the captured rings make it special and unique.
    Like it a lot!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I am grateful for this forum and all that I learn here.
    tom

I would be glad to turn that, lathe turning can be art as well as turning a candy dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    Amen! I turn for pleasure, not for sale. If it is not fun, I try turning something else.
    I turn for pleasure... then I sell it!
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Useless turning….but fun!

I have to say, your title made me laugh.
    I also turned a small goblet (a little over 10 years ago) for a C&T. I haven't turned one since.
    img_0437a.jpg