Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer A3-41 Brand New - Infeed Not Flat

Hi Josh, I suggest you make sure that the test I recommended is successful, then try a short piece.

I expect that you’re going to be fine……Regards, Rod

As several people said, the proof is in the pudding. If you can get good results disregard the measurements. You may find that you need to joint short pieces at the near and far edges of the tables away from the hollow. It probably won't have much if any effect on flattening and longer pieces with good technique.

A .013" sag is bad quality control, fortunately for you it is on the infeed table. I guess if it meets manufacturing tolerance it's technically not bad quality control, but it is a shoddy standard in my opinion. It may be that the machining was good and the casting changed shape afterward. Back in the day quality castings were aged before machining to avoid that problem. I have seen so many posts like yours that I would steer clear of any jointer I could not inspect with a straightedge or run before taking delivery, meaning used or a floor model - not easy to find on a jointer-planer.

I recall another situation where a customer complained about a .010" or .011" dip in a jointer table and was told by Felder that that number was the factory tolerance. Maybe that number is flexible. I had a runout problem on my Unisaw arbor long ago and when I called Delta to ask about the tolerance I was told that they would not state a number, only tell me whether what I measured was in bounds.

Jointers are touchy beasts, essential yet sometimes hard to tame. Sometimes a slight misalignment can completely throw the results off, sometime what seems like a big machining error functions just fine. I worked with a 12" Northfield and a Delta DJ20 that both had humps in the outfeed table but were very reliable. A couple of 16" machines with minor hollows in the outfeed were very hard to get dialed in. I would not intentionally set up jointer tables out of parallel but I can believe it could work in some cases. Go by results.

I wouldn’t stand for this at all. Not with a $7000 tool. This is a bunch of malarkey. It doesn’t matter if it works or not. A .013 deviation IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Call them and tell them to fix this.

I just got a grizzly jointer and the infeed was out .011. The said their tolerance was .002 per foot and no more than .006 for the length of the table, and they stood by it. They sent me new tables quickly. The new outfeed was around .001 out and the new infeed was around .005. And this is grizzly, not one of the supposed top tool makers in existence.

Grizzly makes up for greater variance in their tool quality with great customer service. I have always had excellent customer service from them regardless of my order total or product line.

I have no direct experience with Felder, but I have not had the same great customer experience with companies who's main business is selling high dollar equipment B2B and who also decide to sell an economy line of products into the consumer market (yes they consider your $7K combo machine their economy line ).

I also think that the level of customer service we expect as Americans is not universal, especially for European companies selling into the American market. This is made even worse by extreme demand and backlogs.

Lots of stories of customer service interactions with premium European brands the don't meet American standards - regardless of industry.

Just something to keep in mind when considering what brand to buy.

To the OP - like others have said, try it and see if there's a problem. For short/narrow pieces, you may just need to avoid that section of jointer table. It may not be worth your time to fight through customer service for a replacement.

FWIW - These are the Hammer Specs for the A3-41;

Cutter Head - end to end = .004"
    Cutter Head to Outfeed = .028" to .010"
    Table flatness = .010"
    Jointer Fence = .006"
    Planner Thickness L to R +- .006"

I am a fan of setting machines up as accurately as possible/reasonable but be realistic in your expectations. It is expanding/contracting WOOD that we are dealing with here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    FWIW - These are the Hammer Specs for the A3-41;

Cutter Head - end to end = .004"
    Cutter Head to Outfeed = .028" to .010"
    Table flatness = .010"
    Jointer Fence = .006"
    Planner Thickness L to R +- .006"

I am a fan of setting machines up as accurately as possible/reasonable but be realistic in your expectations. It is expanding/contracting WOOD that we are dealing with here.
    The expansion and contraction of wood doesn’t mean much when you are trying to get straight boards for a glue up. Trying to glue convex/concave boards together doesn’t work too well. A precise jointer matters. Especially when dealing with really hard woods.

It's possible you got a bad table from the factory. I don't know if Felder tests their machines upon receipt, but they should to prevent issues such as this. I have had my A3-41 for over 5 years and it was spot-on from day one. Fine piece of machinery.

The Hammer A series is where Felder does a lot of business and volume. You're always going to have some tables that are out of spec and should be replaced under warranty.

But the hey, it's our DIY line and you only paid $7000, so notch down your expectations is a bit insulting. You shouldn't have tables that are .013-.015 out on a $7000 machine.

Post a video on Youtube and you may get a response from Felder.

Spot on, Jason. As I understand the problem, the dip in the infeed table is localized on the operator side of the machine. If so, one
    can't argue that it was intentional so as to produce sprung edge joints. If they meant that, they'd have bragged about it being
    a "feature" not a defect! If it were me, I'd want a replacement infeed table.

You are also right about Grizzly customer service. I recently had issues with a helical cutterhead on my jointer. The thing was out
    of warranty (a few months) but I felt the problem should not have occurred. They agreed and sent me a new cutterhead at no cost.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    I wouldn’t stand for this at all. Not with a $7000 tool. This is a bunch of malarkey. It doesn’t matter if it works or not. A .013 deviation IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Call them and tell them to fix this.

I just got a grizzly jointer and the infeed was out .011. The said their tolerance was .002 per foot and no more than .006 for the length of the table, and they stood by it. They sent me new tables quickly. The new outfeed was around .001 out and the new infeed was around .005. And this is grizzly, not one of the supposed top tool makers in existence.
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is much of a choice. I just got a new A3-41 from Felder and it had a small gouge in the outfeed table. I called them and asked for a new table or new machine only to have them tell me that they didn't see a problem since the machine would still work. My sales person then called me to tell me that paying $7000 for a machine with a defect "sucks" but that I was being way too "rigid" in expecting Felder to fix it. I expressed my concern that 1) it's worth less than it should be now because of the gouge and 2) that something had to hit it very hard to take a chunk out of cast iron. I also found that the tables are significantly convex instead of coplanar. In the end they offered me $200 to go away. I'm trying to settle for someone coming out, setting up the machine so it works right, and being the first to turn it on in case something is wrong with the motor. I'll let you know what ends up happening.

The most frustrating part is that before I settled on this tool I watched a video (from Plexus woodworking in Canada) saying how much his A3-41 was out of tolerances. The sales person said that she wasn't sure about Felder - Canada, but Felder USA stands by its products so I shouldn't worry about it. My bad for believing that. Right now, I would strongly recommend against purchasing anything from Felder as once you have the machine, they know you would have to pay another $500 to ship it back to them. So, you're kind of stuck. It's like buying a car online only to have it show up with a dent in the hood and wheels out of alignment, and the manufacturer's response is "Well, it runs doesn't it?"

11. p.s., I am making a video about this whole experience. I'll post it here when done, but I am waiting to see how it all ends before completing the video. Here's to hoping Felder comes through somehow.

If Felder says their tolerances are .010, and your tables are .015, it’s a pretty simple conversation. Out of spec is out of spec. They should replace the respective table. I could live with a minor surface imperfection as tables are going to get scratched up over time. I’ll concede if they are near flat ~.03 or so. The out-feed and area closest to the cutter head on the in-feed table is most important.

A dip at the far end of the infeed table is least crucial.

If I ever buy a higher end machine 7-10k, I want in writing from the sales rep or dealer what the tolerances are, and what they plan on doing if they are sent out of spec. Then there is no discrepancy. If you won’t back up in writing what’ll you’ll do, then I’m not buying it.

I ended up scaling down and bought Grizzly’s 12” V helical J/P combo. I thought about Hammer and Minimax, but couldn’t convince myself when it came to parting with 7k +.
    Last edited by Robert London; 06-23-2022 at 12:41 PM.