Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router bit storage

Blog Entries
    Router bits can be like rabbits if you use a fair number of profiles. Random $5 bit sales at woodworking shows may add to the mayhem although I haven't seen one of those in years. I use Plano tackle boxes.

Router Bit Storage (2).jpg . Router Bit Storage (1).jpg

The keep the bits from bumping into each other, don't require me to grab the bit by the sharp end, and allow storage for extra bearings and the wrenches such things require.

I keep the 1/4" and 1/2" profile bits, straight with bearings and straight without that I use most handy at the router table.

Router Bit Storage (3).jpg

Overflow and task specific sets go in draws below.
    Router Bit Storage (4).jpg

Once I go to a certain number of bits storing them in a row got out of hand

P.s. After use I brush off the bearing(s) and put a drop of bearing oil on. I have not had a bearing wear out since I started doing this over 15 years ago. The bits of paper towel absorb any oil seepage and keep the plastic bins fairly clean.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-11-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I still say wood or ply. If you want to fit either 1/4 or 1/2 inch in both holes, simply drill the 1/2 inch first and then come back with a 1/4" bit and drill a little deeper.

I, too, use the Plano tackle boxes, only because I really didn't have a better way to store them. It's been 20+ years now so I guess I'm happy with them.

I am building a new router table, though, and want to keep my most commonly used bits right at hand. I bought a couple packs of the Rockler inserts and will be using them. Remains to be seen how I like them.

I have always had bad luck with drilling holes in wood. Either the wood shrinks and swells, sticking the bit; or I get rust. NO thanks.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

ive just drilled holes in pine shelves 7/8 thick. I countersink them slightly and if it ever was a bit tight just holding a hand drill in the hole some point after the original hole was drilled on the drill press will increase it a bit. No rust issues and on some bad days ive hit over 90 percent humidity. Same as shaper cutters i want it on the wall where I can see then and close to eye level.