Thread: Between Coats Sanding Advice Please

Between Coats Sanding Advice Please

I have just sprayed (first time) a second coat of GF High Performance Satin Poly onto a 30x48 butcher block table and I would like to sand with 320 before applying a third coat. Would it be safe to lightly sand with my Festool 150/3 random orbit sander or must I do it by hand. Thank you.

Unless you really hosed up the spraying there's no reason to even think about using a power tool. 320, 400, even 600 grit on a hand block is all you need. All you are trying to do is knock off the dust nibs, just a few light swipes is all that's required and warranted.

John

John, thanks, I am so new at spraying that I won't know if I "hosed it up" until I wait 5-6 hours till dry. As a novices, there were a few "blobs" as I moved along the table. I will start with 320 by hand,

Hey, we were all new to spraying when we started. No shame in that. And good on you for asking questions. OK, now back to your project. What kind of "blobs" are you talking about?

John

I noticed (while wet) that my gun left a few noticeable blobs about of about 1-3 inches in size. Most likely due to not being "hand steady" as I moved along the table. The finish leveled well and although I know where the blobs are I am not sure that anyone else will. Also, My gun was a $100 all-in-one unit from HomeRight. All in all I'm am pleased but hope to improve. Thanks for the encouragement, John.