Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5" vs. 6" ROS advice

I picked up a Ridgid 6" a few years back to scuff sand the hardwood floors of a rental house.
    They were in decent shape and didn't need sanded all the way down to bare wood.

I've since used it on smaller tasks.

The other sander I have is a DeWalt 5" single speed. I like to use the 5" because it's nimbler and doesn't seem to add that much time. The DeWalt is near its end of life however and I'm looking at what I can replace it with.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Patrick, for the type of work you mention (small cabinets, tables and smaller protects), I'd invest in a decent hand plane and a card scraper. Nicer finish, less work, no dust, no electrons and no sandpaper to buy.

You sound like me in terms of project types. I have never missed a larger sander. I have a 5”. If anything, there are way more times I need a smaller sander for concave parts like bowls .

If you have to hog off a ton of material with a sander I would suggest there are more efficient methods such as planes, a planer or even a belt sander (for say cutting boards).

The biggest bang for buck on sanding efficiency is not pad size but paper quality and changing it often. At least for me.

I'm the same. I bought a 6" sander but almost always use my 5" sanders. They better fit the work I do.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I keep well stocked with all the fine grits for my 5" Rotex. I polish rosewoods to 15000 with Micro Mesh.
    I keep course stuff for the 6".

Another "I've" got both here . There are situations where one is preferred over the other , so the flexibility is great . I'll admit that ordering 2 sizes of paper is a bummer , but - oh well .

Again, thanks for all the input. Decided to go with a 6" knowing that I'd keep a 5" around for some things.

Probably not a popular option here, but I'm a gambling man and took a flyer on a 6" Deros clone. I had seen Peter Millard review one and seemed like it was worth a shot (https://youtu.be/jelEm54OLQw). I have to say that on initial unboxing and initial testing, I was surprised (in a good way) on the build quality and performance. Ultimately I know the real issue might be longevity but I picked up an extended warranty. Worst case, the thing dies after a year and I end up with a gift card for something else (after using this thing, I'd probably consider biting the bullet and just getting the Deros).
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 05-04-2022 at 11:39 AM.