My new location does not have 3-phase service so I will be installing a phase converter to power my sanders, spray booth fan, and some other smaller pieces of equipment. I am leaning hard towards the Phase Perfect.

For new equipment purchases, when there is an option for either single phase or 3-phase equipment, which would be preferable? Is there a benefit to running 3-phase through a phase converter versus just wiring a single phase unit direct to the panel?

Specifically, I am looking at buying a new Oneida 5hp dust collector and they have single phase or 3-phase available for the same price. The rep from Oneida recommended the 3-phase but he didn't seem to think it really mattered. I'm considering the single phase because the wide belt has a max load of 54 amps and the Oneida has a running load of 12 amps which puts me above the 64 amp output of the 20hp Phase Perfect and the rep from Phase Perfect recommended not going above 60 amps. I realize that under normal operations the amp draw on the wide belt would be significantly less so it shouldn't be an issue but I have the option and I don't think it's worth the potential risk of overloading the Phase Perfect.

Is there any benefit of going with the 3-phase in this situation?