Thread: Upcoming WWshow question

Upcoming WWshow question

Well, the Atlanta WW show is coming up next weekend, and I'm off to try to pick up a good, general-purpose saw blade for the table saw, as well as a good quality flat-bottom-cutting dado set. I've got a WWI on the RAS that cuts smooth as silk, and a pretty old Freud combo blade on the TS that's not bad, but not as good as I'd like it to be. I'd love to waltz in and pick up the Forrest WWII and Dado set, but that's right out of the budget!

I'd really like to be able to get the two aforementioned items and Freud's new box-joint cutter set for <200 bucks, but I think I'm in dream land there......

A WWII or a CMT General is the type of blade that I had in mind, but I'd sure love to find something that cuts as well for less money.

I'm gathering that I should stick with a 6" dado set on a contractor-type saw - is that correct? Again, the Forrest would be wonderful, or even the top-notch Freud, but I'm afraid those are still a bit out of budget.

I'd sure appreciate hearing about any good alternatives that have worked well for folks that I could look for instead!

Thanks, y'all!

Matt King
    Hamilton, GA

At the WW show in Baltimore a couple weeks ago, Freud was selling their top of the line dado with a zero clearance insert for $249 plus they also gave you $50 off any other blade they had.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

You can often buy the WW-II 40t blade at the shows for about $90. The Freud SD206 is a nice dado set...not as good as the SD506, but still a good set...and shouldn't hurt you too bad either. I don't think it's possible to do the box-joint set within your budget, too... (I did see the results from one recently when I visited Fred Voorhees' shop...darn thing works really nicely!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King
    Well, the Atlanta WW show is coming up next weekend, and I'm off to try to pick up a good, general-purpose saw blade for the table saw, as well as a good quality flat-bottom-cutting dado set. I've got a WWI on the RAS that cuts smooth as silk, and a pretty old Freud combo blade on the TS that's not bad, but not as good as I'd like it to be. I'd love to waltz in and pick up the Forrest WWII and Dado set, but that's right out of the budget!

I'd really like to be able to get the two aforementioned items and Freud's new box-joint cutter set for <200 bucks, but I think I'm in dream land there......

A WWII or a CMT General is the type of blade that I had in mind, but I'd sure love to find something that cuts as well for less money.

I'm gathering that I should stick with a 6" dado set on a contractor-type saw - is that correct? Again, the Forrest would be wonderful, or even the top-notch Freud, but I'm afraid those are still a bit out of budget.

I'd sure appreciate hearing about any good alternatives that have worked well for folks that I could look for instead!

Thanks, y'all!

Matt King
    Hamilton, GA

I just ordered a Freud F410 40 tooth blade(a WWII clone) and the Freud box cutting set from Amazon. Both together were $134.00 and with free shipping. Amazon is having a $30.00 off $125.00 or more. Tonight is the last night for the discount.
    If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.

Talking

Well, I'm not sure quite what I've done to deserve quite this good fortune (or what SHE has done and is trying to make up for!) but it seems to be working out for me, at least possibly.... looks like my ATL WW show budget may have just expanded! How does an Infinity Dado-nator, a WWII, a Freud Box Joint Jig set and an Incra Miter Express sound for a WW show haul?!?!?!

Let's see if it actually works out that way....

That said - can anybody think of recommend choices than what I've mentioned here *IF* the 'spending committee' actually allows this level of expenditure? If she backs out, I think I'll take Jim's recommendation on the Freud dado set and a WWII, or try the Systimatic 'general purpose' blad and *try* to sneak in the Freud Box Joint Jig set.

Thanks for listening!

Matt

Infinity Pre Moving Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King
    Well, I'm not sure quite what I've done to deserve quite this good fortune (or what SHE has done and is trying to make up for!) but it seems to be working out for me, at least possibly.... looks like my ATL WW show budget may have just expanded! How does an Infinity Dado-nator, a WWII, a Freud Box Joint Jig set and an Incra Miter Express sound for a WW show haul?!?!?!

Let's see if it actually works out that way....
    Thanks for listening!

Matt
    Matt, I'm sure you are probably aware that "Infinity" is getting ready to move to a larger facility, and are currently having a Pre-Moving sale on everything, (I Believe it' on everything). I haven't checked the prices, but it might be worth a shot to check it out BEFORE going to the WW show.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Hey, I hadn't heard that! I know very little about Infinity, actually, just that everything that I've read seems to be pretty dang good. Anybody disagree?

Should I just go with the 'tried and true' figuring that nothing will outcut a Forrest product, regardless of what it is, ASSUMING I can get the 'funds approval"????

Thanks again!

Matt

Matt
    Be carefull with the dado-nator, check it closely for rust which first shows up as a thin spiderweb like pattern. Mine has it on the chippers, none on the 2 outside blades. I sent 1 set back and the replacements did the same thing a month or 2 later. I was told by Infinity it was because they were stored in the warehouse to long (Florida) and needed to be brought into the office area. Hopefully after they move it will cease to be a problem but if you get one it'll be premove so check it well. They do cut a very nice dado, which is why I kept them, plus I didn't want to pay shipping again, they weigh a good deal. Infinity required the whole set be returned not just the rusted chippers. To be fair, the rust is not raised, seems to be just at surface level, time will tell.

Bob