Thread: Grizzly G0458 18" Open end Sander

Grizzly G0458 18" Open end Sander

I am in the market for a drum sander. Been tossing Delta and Performax around trying to decide on the two, and now Grizzly does this to me! My question is are these shipping yet and does anyone have one? I like how the table moves and the drum is stationary, like the Delta I believe. Any info is appreciated. I enclosed a pic cause I like Pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I started out with nothing and I have most of it left

Something to think about...if the table moves, then you'll need to adjust your infeed and outfeed support after every change in thickness. And you WILL need that support when you are working with longer materials, such as doors, panels, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim K., I think you're right in as much as that is a similar design to the Delta. That happens to be the one I have and I too like the idea that the head remains stationary. Yes, I'll agree with Jim B. that a bit more care needs to be taken with real long pieces but, I rarely do much of anything over 4' or so through it, so that's not been an issue. Sorry, but I can't comment directly on the Grizz unit, as I've not seen or used it, nor do I know anyone who has.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks for the input Jim and John, the weight issue is somthing to think about but if I did anything long and heavy I would use roller stands like I do with the planer. Maybe they would help. I'm not going to be purchasing till March so maybe there will be some out by thing. Planning a romantic weekend getaway with LOML to the Harrisburg Pa. Wood show, and then on to Grizzly in Williamsburg. She is pretty excited!

Jim Knauss
    I started out with nothing and I have most of it left

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Knauss
    TPlanning a romantic weekend getaway with LOML to the Harrisburg Pa. Wood show, and then on to Grizzly in Williamsburg. She is pretty excited!
    Hmm...interesting that a trip to Grizzly has that effect on her...LOL! But it sounds like a very nice plan.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

this is a great forum to ask the question " does any one actually have this machine and how does it work".. I would wait for the answer before proceeding on the purchase.

lou

The Delta 18" weighs in at 190 lbs, the Performax 16" at 110 lbs and the Grizzly18" ships at 354 lbs.

The Grizzly has a 6" sanding drum. I don't know how big the others drums are, but would like to find out. I looked a bit but couldn't find any info.

They all seem to have the same (or close) amp draw. All ask for a 20 amp circuit

The Grizzly must have some type of built in blower in order to use the dust bag. I'd for sure hook it up to my DC anyway but I suppose the blower wouldn't hurt anything. I don't think the 2.5" dust port the Grizzly has is big enough but it might work OK with the internal blower to help. The others have 4" ports.

The Grizzly has a cast iron platen which I think is a big plus.

And last but not least, the Grizzly sells for about $100 less.

I sure hope somebody would buy one of these and tell us what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie View Post
    I sure hope somebody would buy one of these and tell us what they think.
    I just did. I will send pics and let everyone know how it runs. Expected delivery is 11/16. I'm in the middle of a project and may not be able to "play" with it for a few weeks. We'll see.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Amazon.com has a couple of reviews on this tool.

There was another thread regarding this sander and it had a coupon to get it for $750 and $89 delivery.

It normally sells for $850 and $94 delivery.

Use the mediacode AMW0711 to receive the discount.

Jim

Blog Entries
    My BIL just got that griz off C list for 550.00, he scored. It is like new too. I don't think he's got any time on it yet but it does seem well built. The only thing I don't like is that the table goes up and down instead of the drum. Makes it difficult to build an outfeed table. Bring friends when you move it. They are extremely heavy and hard to get a grip on.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.