Thread: 22124 Dust Collection and Miter Gage/Fence

22124 Dust Collection and Miter Gage/Fence

Last night I finished construction and tune-up of my new saw. I even constructed the front rip fence 10” more to the right as I have read others have done.

Dust Collection:

I modified my previous saw (Ryobi BT3100) to close up a lot of leak paths to optimize dust collection. I hardly had any dust in the saw housing even after months of use.

This is my first use / experience with a cabinet mounted saw with a dust port at the bottom of the saw. I have found that even with my DC attached there was a huge amount of dust in the bottom of the saw cabinet after making a few test cuts. Is this normal / typical?

On my previous saw I could hear and feel the air passing by the throat plate but not on the 22124. There is a red molded and hinged housing with an opening on the top called the motor access door that really could be flat but I assume it is bulged to direct air flow. I did a quick look and noticed there is a sizeable air gap around the area between the table top and cabinet.

Just wondering if someone has experimented with sealing the gap between the saw and cabinet. Also, has anyone had technical feedback on why the large red bulging plastic housing (I would like to use this area for saw mounted cabinet space).

Miter Gage & Fence:

Again my previous experience has been with the Ryobi BT3100 but it had a miter gage with fence that could be easily adjusted by loosening one hand wheel. The miter fence on the 22124 requires the use of a hex key on two bolts that are in a spot that is hard to get at to reposition the fence. Also, changing the miter angle requires loosening several knobs.

Anyone really like this miter gage or have suggestions for a replacement?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
    My 22125 does the same thing as far as chips go but I don't find it a problem. When it gets full enough they make there way to the DC. I attribute the problem to using a 4" pipe and a HF DC with Wynn filters. Just not enough suction to keep it spanking clean, but its adequate. As for the miter gauge, I use my Incra 1000 se.

Jim Knauss
    I started out with nothing and I have most of it left

Mike, I have a 22124 and haven't had any trouble with dust control. Yes, there is quite a bit of sawdust at the bottom, but not what I would call excessive. I have a zero clearance insert that seems to help reduce sawdust in general. I haven't tried plugging up areas where air might leak only because I haven't really noticed a problem.

My miter gauge is a Woodhaven (http://www.woodhaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=2057), and I would highly recommend it. I have had experience with another miter gauge that was very disappointing, and since purchasing the Woodhaven life is great again! I didn't care for the one that came with the saw at all. I plan on using parts of it for my router table fence.

Last night I purchased the Craftsman zero clearance insert made for my saw, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Take care!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Smile

The big red plastic motor housing is for when you tilt the blade to a fourty five degree cut , thats where the motor swings up into. Vernon