Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 240v remote controls

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Not really appropriate for switching a large motor. Might last a few times but not intended to control a 30A motor.
    I use this very remote to switch my 30 amp dust collector. Mine controls a $15 contactor though. The $15 contactor with a 30 amp rating has been working as intended for a couple years. The wire connectors on the remote are much too small to handle a 10 gauge wire required for 30 amps in my area.

Look on ebay to get a name brand used contactor with a 120 volt coil. Then control with the 120 volt remote of your choice. You just missed the christmas light remotes sale.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Look on ebay to get a name brand used contactor with a 120 volt coil. Then control with the 120 volt remote of your choice. You just missed the christmas light remotes sale.
    Bill D
    Brand new contactors are quite inexpensive...no need to order something used from the 'Bay, IMHO. The one I bought to control my compressor was a whopping $17 from Amazon with free shipping. 30 amp load with 120v control. Packard brand which is a small business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Brand new contactors are quite inexpensive...no need to order something used from the 'Bay, IMHO. The one I bought to control my compressor was a whopping $17 from Amazon with free shipping. 30 amp load with 120v control. Packard brand which is a small business.
    Jim, I'm going to do this and couple it with my Lutron Caseta switch. Is this the model you found on Amazon - DP301202 C230B 2 Pole 30 Amp Contactor, 120 Voltage Coil? (don't want to post a link)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Not really appropriate for switching a large motor. Might last a few times but not intended to control a 30A motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I use this very remote to switch my 30 amp dust collector. Mine controls a $15 contactor though. The $15 contactor with a 30 amp rating has been working as intended for a couple years. The wire connectors on the remote are much too small to handle a 10 gauge wire required for 30 amps in my area.
    Same story here, and 2 yrs in operation. I use it to control the 120v coil 40A contactor for my dust collector. $14... doesn't get much cheaper or easier than that.
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 04-03-2023 at 5:11 PM.

Brand new contactors are quite inexpensive..
    I had no idea they were that cheap new. I still prefer a used quality USA made one over a new made in China model. Of course adjustable overloads are a nice modern feature.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-03-2023 at 9:31 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I built one using the parts shown from Amazon. Works just fine on my 2 HP grizzly dust collector. Been working just fine for the past 4 years. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Jim, I'm going to do this and couple it with my Lutron Caseta switch. Is this the model you found on Amazon - DP301202 C230B 2 Pole 30 Amp Contactor, 120 Voltage Coil? (don't want to post a link)
    Packard - DP301202 C230B 2 Pole 30 Amp Contactor, 120 Voltage Coil

Easy install...no need for documentation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great. Just ordered one!

Packard - DP301202 C230B 2 Pole 30 Amp Contactor, 120 Voltage Coil

Easy install...no need for documentation.
    This is fascinating to me, that there might be such an inexpensive and simple fix to my problem. I'm not real well versed in electrical installations........is this something I can do myself, or should I hire an electrician? Is the contactor wired to the VFD? My system has a VFD to convert incoming single phase 240V to three phase on the motor (load) side. It also varies the motor speed, but I'm not clear what paces it (suction pressure or CFM).

thanks!

I think DIY is possible. The 2 poles break the two hot connections on the single phase 240 going to your VFD. Then for remote I plan to use a Lutron outdoor switch, cut the output side and gave it drive the contractor. There are cheaper switches but Lutron is instant, works on a dedicated FCC band and just works every time. I already have one for my CNC 120V DC and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    This is fascinating to me, that there might be such an inexpensive and simple fix to my problem. I'm not real well versed in electrical installations........is this something I can do myself, or should I hire an electrician? Is the contactor wired to the VFD? My system has a VFD to convert incoming single phase 240V to three phase on the motor (load) side. It also varies the motor speed, but I'm not clear what paces it (suction pressure or CFM).

thanks!
    Loosely speaking (since I don't know what VFD or DC you are using)....
    You don't need a Direct-On-Line (DOL) contactor if you have a VFD. The VFD can likely be programmed (set a parameter or 3) to allow an external switch to start/stop the VFD(& motor) via a discrete input to the VFD. The input will usually operate at 5VDC or 24VDC, and can be switched by nearly anything: a standard light switch, a remote, or a clap-on-clap-off.

I do this on my EF-5's Chinese VFD. The remote make/model I have escapes me at the moment (I'm on the road : can't see it)*, and Amazon has so many different options that my quick search did not find it.

As for pacing, VFD control via pressure or flow would require a sensor ($ transmitter $) for at least one of those processes, and so allow the VFD to modulate from that signal. If your VFD does in fact vary motor speed automatically, it is likely that it is programmed to keep the load at or near FLA (the VFD can 'see' the amp draw internally), and this is the basic SMART control on various DC platforms. I have made threats to do this FLA control my VFD, but in reality the DC works just fine as-is.

*- EMylo https://www.amazon.com/eMylo-Wireles...3&sr=8-51&th=1
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 04-04-2023 at 10:21 AM. Reason: eMylo

I think DIY is possible. The 2 poles break the two hot connections on the single phase 240 going to your VFD. Then for remote I plan to use a Lutron outdoor switch, cut the output side and gave it drive the contractor. There are cheaper switches but Lutron is instant, works on a dedicated FCC band and just works every time. I already have one for my CNC 120V DC and love it.
    Be careful of installing a DOL contactor in series with a VFD. If upstream of the VFD, it is manageable. Sometimes. Make sure you can reach the fault reset button. If downstream (between the VFD and motor), it will almost always fault the VFD, and very likely permanently damage it.

As mentioned, it is just as easy to remote start/stop a VFD as it is a DOL contactor. No need for both.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 04-04-2023 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Be careful of installing a DOL contactor in series with a VFD. If upstream of the VFD, it is manageable. Sometimes. Make sure you can reach the fault reset button. If downstream (between the VFD and motor), it will almost always fault the VFD, and very likely permanently damage it.

As mentioned, it is just as easy to remote start/stop a VFD as it is a DOL contactor. No need for both.
    I thought I was clear when I said "240 going TO your VFD". I never suggested intercepting the VFD output which would be patently idiotic IMHO.

I thought I was clear when I said "240 going TO your VFD". I never suggested intercepting the VFD output which would be patently idiotic IMHO.
    Very clear. And clearly we are aligned. Good luck with your project.

I will spare you my experiences with patent VFD users.