Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phone strobe - call indicator

phone strobe - call indicator

Does any body have ideas on phone strobes or other indicators. I am looking to incorporate an visual indicator for the shop, so when the phone rings and a loud tool is running and/or with hearing protection donned, I still could shut down to answer it. It will not be used on a phone system but rather a single line home service extension. What do you guys use? I'm not keen on just turning up the ring volume, and yes... I have heard of an answering machine. We have one. But if it's the mother-in-law calling from England, I'd rather have the call on her dime.

Your input is appreciated - thanks, Chris

Something like this?

I also found something on the well-known auction site searching for "phone strobe" (with the quotation marks).

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

Chris,
    I know that a device is available for the deaf that will make a light flash when the phone rings, etc. I don't have a clue what they are called or where to find them.

Hope this helps...

I bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight for around $5 works great.

I recall seeing a device like this from Grizzly.

I have used the one Vaughn mentioned, it worked great.

Richard

Good thread Chris,
    I have no answer for your dilemma, but am very interested in the responses.

My problem is I have no difficulty hearing the phone and it seems like I am always the one that answers it but, it is never for me. Now I just ignore it.

Just did a quick "Shopzilla" search. New, you're looking anywhere from $30- $400.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    but, it is never for me.
    Must have teenage kids in the house. I know that situation all too well.
    Last edited by Doug Jones; 01-22-2006 at 9:21 AM.

I sold a lot of them when I ran a Radio Shack store back in the 1980s. I don't have one in my shop...I can hear the ringer on my wireless extension that lives there outside of when I am wearing hearing protection at the j/p. I'd rather miss a call rather than interrupt a cut. Most of the time that it rings on the weekend when I'm in the shop...it's the intercom letting me know that a meal is ready.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have one of the Radio Shack bell-type ringers in my shop which is a lot easier to hear over shop noise than an electronic ringer, but is not painfully loud at other times.

Wheelock makes a combination "audible strobe" you can adjust thr ring tones so they will carry over loud machinery and of course the strobe. Here's a link
    but just for info but I am sure you can pick one up a lot cheaper http://www.phonemerchants.com/wheeltelstro.html

I also have the fone flasher 2 from Radio Shack, not in my shop but in the house for my wife who is deaf in one ear--it works great and besides ringing it also has a flashing strobe light. I think I paid around 30 bucks for it.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    My problem is I have no difficulty hearing the phone and it seems like I am always the one that answers it but, it is never for me. Now I just ignore it.
    Same here.

Actually, with my wife, my daughter, and myself all having our own cellphones, we're seriously looking at pulling the landline. 'used to use it for internet access, but got satellite broadband a few months ago.

As soon as the 8-yr. old get old enough for his own phone, the landline is outta here.

Now these days, all cellphones can be put in "vibrate" mode. You can just put one of these babies in your pocket while you're out in the shop, if you want to receive calls, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    ... Most of the time that it rings on the weekend when I'm in the shop...it's the intercom letting me know that a meal is ready.
    Some calls are more important than others.
    Every deed plants a seed.