Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Grit Automation Automatic Blast Gates - Automating my Dust Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J Kelly View Post
    I owe Joel some pictures of my 3 phase machine control bays to show how I integrated the controls into the setup. That part went well, very straightforward. The Dust Collector contactor instructions were straightforward and well documented. It was a Sunday and I could not get the system to turn on the dust collector (they warned me this was the most challenging part). I texted Joel on Monday and he set up a facetime call. He validated the wiring was good and he forced a firmware update and we were good to go!
    It is way easier to use a 3 phase DE, it gives speed control and unlimited starts per hour when a 3 phase DE is controlled by a VFD. When I get asked what DE should be installed the first requirement is 3 phase and a VFD and we have zero problems with installation because the control is done at the VFD. I applaud what GRIT has brought to dust extraction in woodworking and I hope they are highly successful in their endeavours.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Chris,

Not sure what you are calling out here, but it sounds good.

My situation is a bit different. I have a Phase Perfect to convert single phase to three Phase. My 3 phase machines are all electronically controlled. Two are new, one is in the works and one is a few years old. Both Felder and SCM require power within a certain tolerance to cover under manufacturers warranty. The table saw is 10hp, the shaper is 10hp, the J/P is 15hp and the wide belt I have picked out is 18hp. Not really suitable for a VFD.

My dust collector is single phase. The issue with it starting was old firmware in the GRIT controller, not install issues. I understand the possibility of the DE being controlled by a VFD to open up options, like soft start and variable speed, but then I would need to factor in a larger Phase Perfect converter. I am already getting to the limits on power in my shop, so I am not sure a three phase DE is in my future.

But never say never!

PK
    PKwoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J Kelly View Post
    Chris,

Not sure what you are calling out here, but it sounds good.

My situation is a bit different. I have a Phase Perfect to convert single phase to three Phase. My 3 phase machines are all electronically controlled. Two are new, one is in the works and one is a few years old. Both Felder and SCM require power within a certain tolerance to cover under manufacturers warranty. The table saw is 10hp, the shaper is 10hp, the J/P is 15hp and the wide belt I have picked out is 18hp. Not really suitable for a VFD.

My dust collector is single phase. The issue with it starting was old firmware in the GRIT controller, not install issues. I understand the possibility of the DE being controlled by a VFD to open up options, like soft start and variable speed, but then I would need to factor in a larger Phase Perfect converter. I am already getting to the limits on power in my shop, so I am not sure a three phase DE is in my future.

But never say never!

PK
    PKwoodworking
    My comments were directed at using single phase dust extractors and the advantages they give along with the ease of integration into automated systems. I have said it before and repeat it here, I would not buy a single phase DE for a bet as a 3 phase unit running off 220 volts is a much more versatile answer to the problem. 99% of Clearvues in Australia are run off 220V via a VFD and why Clearvue/Oneida insist on making a single phase machine is beyond me. It does not have to be a 5hp/15" DE as 3 phase motors are made in smaller sizes. The OEM suppliers such as Oneida and CV could integrate the VFD into the machine, am I correct in recalling that Oneida have already done that?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clode View Post
    Alan - very interesting setup and reporting. If I’m reading things correctly you can have the system set up to turn on the cyclone DE and open a gate when a tool is activated or simply open a gate when the cyclone is already running…how frequently do you start and stop the cyclone when you are working in the shop for an hour or two?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Sorry for the late response, Jeff. Was travelling.
    I start and stop the cyclone several times an hour when working. More than I should, but it is what it is and I've lost enough hearing that even when wearing excellent headphones, I worry about that. It's a 5HP Oneida, and I haven't seen any issues with using it this way (fingers crossed).

The gate opens when the tool is activated. The last tool used gate remains open after shutting down, so repeatedly using the same tool (such as my SawStop table saw) the gate is already open when the cyclone turns on.

I have the timer set for, I think, 5 minutes minimum for the cyclone, so it does cycle less that way.

If the cyclone is already running, the gate just remains open.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Sorry for the late response, Jeff. Was travelling.
    I start and stop the cyclone several times an hour when working. More than I should, but it is what it is and I've lost enough hearing that even when wearing excellent headphones, I worry about that. It's a 5HP Oneida, and I haven't seen any issues with using it this way (fingers crossed).

The gate opens when the tool is activated. The last tool used gate remains open after shutting down, so repeatedly using the same tool (such as my SawStop table saw) the gate is already open when the cyclone turns on.

I have the timer set for, I think, 5 minutes minimum for the cyclone, so it does cycle less that way.

If the cyclone is already running, the gate just remains open.
    A 3 phase cyclone via VFD has unlimited starts per hour which is a big advantage.
    Chris

Alan and Chris - I seemed to remember (maybe :<) ) the unlimited starts with the 3 phase system - thanks for confirming
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clode View Post
    Alan and Chris - I seemed to remember (maybe :<) ) the unlimited starts with the 3 phase system - thanks for confirming
    Jeff
    Using 3 phase with a VFD has made single phase DE's obsolete for real world use but the penny seems not to have dropped for the vast majority of users and manufacturers especially Clearvue who have had extensive on the ground experience with it in Australia for about 15 years and where it has been proven to be the best way to run a DE. Even using a 3 phase supply a VFD can still be used to control speed, soft start, delayed shut down to clear the ducting etc.
    Chris

Chris,

This is probably a comment I will regret, as my Oneida will probably fail today, but...

I have a 3hp single phase dust gorilla pro with a Baldor motor (circa 2004/2005 - all metal design with a larger inlet of 8" as I think they are 7" now). I have had it for almost 20 years. I never worry about how many time I turn it on/off in a given hour. It runs like a champ!

I am upgrading to a larger shop and I will take a deep look at the motor before re-installing it. I may upgrade if it is necessary, but I feel like it is up to the challenge!

I am a one man shop and never have multiple machines on, so the GRIT system will keep me at 1-2 gates open at all times.

We will see!

PK