Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Service

Internet Service

We have had it with DSL. We live almost 2.5 miles from the hub and the best we can get is 3.2 MBPS. Most of the time it is throttled so we get about 0.4 to 0.7 MBPS. Where I live, its DSL or HughesNet or StarLink.

We just put in StarLink. What a difference. Its expensive, but its nice to be able to run more than just a TV with HULU or Netflix. We get 94 MBPS so far on average so thats not too bad.

UP Fiber Network has fiber optic running right by our house by the highway. It was put in with grant money to connect Escanaba, Manistique, Munising and Marquette. If the fiber gets damaged along the route between cities, they can feed from the other end.. The Company said the only service businesses. Residents cant afford to their service. What a crock. It was installed and started up with tax payer money.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Glad to hear that Rich. I'm in kind of the same situation. I'm about 300 feet from a a Spectrum box that is on the property line of my 2 neighbors to the west. They wanted several thousand dollars to hook me up. I currently have a service that uses a small receiver which requires line of sight to their nearest tower, about 2 miles away. I usually get 4-5 MPS but that's not enough bandwidth to provide for several devices. I've been on the StarLink list from the beginning but they've keep delaying the service date for us in the thumb area.

It's not cheap but Starlink does work. I recently did a speed test at the wife's house to see how fast her DSL is and I was surprised just how slow it is. She's getting numbers a little better than you but not by much. She's able to stream movies but I think it buffers the movies so she doesn't deal with lag. She's never tried streaming live TV. Amazon will be offering it's own satellite internet to compete with Starlink soon, just not sure when or how much.

Like you there's fiberoptic running on the poles at the bottom of the right of way I live on but it's not for households. In other parts of the state they are offering it but it's to places like trailer parks where there's lots of people close together.
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 08-27-2022 at 11:05 PM.

BTW I've had Starlink since Feb and have had no issues with snow or heavy rain impacting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    BTW I've had Starlink since Feb and have had no issues with snow or heavy rain impacting it.
    Is the dish heated?

Pleasantly surprised about no issues with heavy rain. Here in Florida, it's a common occurrence with DirecTV.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

What is the average wait time for Starlink?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    We have had it with DSL. We live almost 2.5 miles from the hub and the best we can get is 3.2 MBPS. Most of the time it is throttled so we get about 0.4 to 0.7 MBPS. Where I live, its DSL or HughesNet or StarLink.

We just put in StarLink. What a difference. Its expensive, but its nice to be able to run more than just a TV with HULU or Netflix. We get 94 MBPS so far on average so thats not too bad.

UP Fiber Network has fiber optic running right by our house by the highway. It was put in with grant money to connect Escanaba, Manistique, Munising and Marquette. If the fiber gets damaged along the route between cities, they can feed from the other end.. The Company said the only service businesses. Residents cant afford to their service. What a crock. It was installed and started up with tax payer money.
    Public/private partnerships usually mean public pays the costs and private gets the profits. On the other hand without public support the company most likely wouldn't bother with a low populated area. That's what subsidies are all about. Sometimes subsidies become permanent which is troublesome and costly to taxpayers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Glad to hear that Rich. I'm in kind of the same situation. I'm about 300 feet from a a Spectrum box that is on the property line of my 2 neighbors to the west. They wanted several thousand dollars to hook me up. I currently have a service that uses a small receiver which requires line of sight to their nearest tower, about 2 miles away. I usually get 4-5 MPS but that's not enough bandwidth to provide for several devices. I've been on the StarLink list from the beginning but they've keep delaying the service date for us in the thumb area.
    That seems strange they want that much money to go 300 feet. I have a three acre lot. The run from my house to the cable box is close to 300 feet. Comcast/Xfinity had no issue with running a new line for free when I was having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Public/private partnerships usually mean public pays the costs and private gets the profits. On the other hand without public support the company most likely wouldn't bother with a low populated area. That's what subsidies are all about. Sometimes subsidies become permanent which is troublesome and costly to taxpayers IMO.
    It pisses me off that rural areas get better faster Internet than urban areas all paid for with tax dollars. A portion of rural Minnesota has fiber optic Internet installed by the local phone company using over $100 million in tax dollars. There is a Boy Scout camp I work with that is eight miles from the nearest paved road. They still have fiber optic Internet. The last couple of miles are run across their property to the administrative offices at taxpayer expense.

My urban house will be lucky to have fiber optic to the house by the year 2100. My Internet is plenty fast on the download side, but really slow on the upload side.

Here we still use a smoky fire and a blanket for uploads. If you have DSL, request ISL instead. Comes over the same line but a little faster (690 KB vs 3.4 MB.) And cost just a little less.

Do those of you with sucky internet speeds have decent cell phone coverage, or does that suck too? I kind of understand an ISP's reluctance to run a half mile or more of coax or fiber to service one property. It seems like some sort of wireless makes sense in those cases.

Thanks for sharing your success with Starlink. I was looking at it two days ago. We are considering taking the plunge to sign up for that even though it is fairly expensive. Like everyone else, our rural DSL is so bad we know all the field techs by name. Our neighbor recently retired as a Lineman for DSL company. He worked 40 years through all the previous company owners. He is the reason we have any DSL because he installed it when he built his house and created the gravel lane. There is fiber less than 1/2 mile from us yet we will not see it for many years to come. Comcast Cable is also less than 1/2 mile. They won't lay cable up our gravel lane. When we looked at building on a 10 acre parcel that had an easement for all the utility companies to have their hubs and boxes in the corner of the property, Comcast still wanted $8,000 to run cable up to where the house would be built and all they would need to do is lay the cable. Our cell phone coverage is 1-2 bars on a good day.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Thanks for sharing your success with Starlink. I was looking at it two days ago. We are considering taking the plunge to sign up for that even though it is fairly expensive. Like everyone else, our rural DSL is so bad we know all the field techs by name. Our neighbor recently retired as a Lineman for DSL company. He worked 40 years through all the previous company owners. He is the reason we have any DSL because he installed it when he built his house and created the gravel lane. There is fiber less than 1/2 mile from us yet we will not see it for many years to come. Comcast Cable is also less than 1/2 mile. They won't lay cable up our gravel lane. When we looked at building on a 10 acre parcel that had an easement for all the utility companies to have their hubs and boxes in the corner of the property, Comcast still wanted $8,000 to run cable up to where the house would be built and all they would need to do is lay the cable. Our cell phone coverage is 1-2 bars on a good day.
    AHH, the joys of rural living. We live less than a half mile form some of the fastest internet in the world, but it might as well be on the moon. Recently, Spectrum sent us a letter saying they would serve our subdivision when the Federal government footed the bill for fiber / co-ax. Even though tax payer dollars are footing the bill, service cost will be the same. Another case of corporate welfare. New neighbor, who works from home is using a Verizon Hot Spot for internet. He is part of a team that is based in Silicon Valley.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 08-28-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Is the dish heated?

Pleasantly surprised about no issues with heavy rain. Here in Florida, it's a common occurrence with DirecTV.
    From what I understand the first antenna was heated all the time where as the newer rectangle antenna (which is what i have) is only heated when the temp drops down low enough for snow. In reality it's only the wet near freezing snow that's sticky. There's also an option to 'park' the antenna. When you get the antenna it's at an angle that's close to perpendicular to the ground. It's so it can fit into a smaller box. When you sign into the router there's an option to move the antenna back to that position. I could see doing it if the snow is very sticky and falling really fast. The router is actually pretty smart. It knows the angle it's at and where north is. It maps all obstructions to the antenna so you can remove them if needed. I have one tree that just barely interferes with it's operation but not enough yet to cause anything I've noticed. Once the leaves are gone I expect it to not even show up as an obstruction.

We were just finally able to get fiber optic to our house because the state Police have a tower about an 1/8 of a mile from us and NPR radio tower a little closer to us with Verizon cell on the tower paid the bulk of the cost to get the new service brought down the road. Still cost us $900 to get it brought to the house approximately 700 feet. The average cost to install fiber optic cable in Illinois is right at $23,000 per mile or about $4.50 per foot. But at least with fiber optic we are getting 500mb upload and download speeds and if we wanted we could get 1gb up and down, which is better than the 3mb on the DSL we had or the over air at 20mb.