Thread: I need to spray some glitter

Question I need to spray some glitter

Does anyone out there have a recipe for making a glitter spray using micro glitter like the stuff thet sell at craft stores? The stores around here have spray but not in the colors I'm looking for and they have no interest in bringing in a new product. The cans I've tried have an alcohol smell to them so I'm wondering if the store bought stuff is a shellac base?

Any thoughts?

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Sallaz
    Does anyone out there have a recipe for making a glitter spray using micro glitter like the stuff thet sell at craft stores? The stores around here have spray but not in the colors I'm looking for and they have no interest in bringing in a new product. The cans I've tried have an alcohol smell to them so I'm wondering if the store bought stuff is a shellac base?

Any thoughts?

Kurt
    Kurt

I have bought glitter(in dry form, just glitter) from the automotive paint shops and I just poured/mixed the desired amount of glitter into the automotive paint I was going to spray on cars and guitars. Automotive paint supply stores sell this material or they can order it in for you. They have many different colors and sizes of glitter.

I'm not sure the glitter sold in craft stores could put up with the solvents in automotive paint. Just a thought.

If I knew exactly what type of paint you wanted to use and exactly what type of material you plan on spraying this paint onto then I could give you some more information to help you.

Hope this helps

Mike

Glitter

The glitter spray that we have used comes in a small spray can and the medium is a clear finish that smells like an alcohol base that dries quickly and is invisable except for the glitter. Wal Mart carried it in their craft department but has since stopped carrying it. To buy direct form the mfg. is more expensive than through Wal Mart. Plus we would have to buy a case which I don't think we could use fast enough before the shelf life is expired. Of coarse the can doesn't tell you what the makeup of the product is or the ingredients. I'm guessing the spray is shellac but not sure. The glitter is easy enough to get and I thought if I could make my own it could be on an "as needed" basis. This spray goes on a heavy card stock paper of different colors and the spray dries fast enough to stick the glitter to the paper but doesn't make the paper real wet or soggy. Hope that helps

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Sallaz
    The glitter spray that we have used comes in a small spray can and the medium is a clear finish that smells like an alcohol base that dries quickly and is invisable except for the glitter. Wal Mart carried it in their craft department but has since stopped carrying it. To buy direct form the mfg. is more expensive than through Wal Mart. Plus we would have to buy a case which I don't think we could use fast enough before the shelf life is expired. Of coarse the can doesn't tell you what the makeup of the product is or the ingredients. I'm guessing the spray is shellac but not sure. The glitter is easy enough to get and I thought if I could make my own it could be on an "as needed" basis. This spray goes on a heavy card stock paper of different colors and the spray dries fast enough to stick the glitter to the paper but doesn't make the paper real wet or soggy. Hope that helps

Kurt
    Kurt

I use professional spray equipment for most of the things I do. It sounds like you do not have any of this type of equipment and just want to use spray cans.

I have seen a product in automotive paint stores that allowed people to custom mix their own paint in a glass jar and the lid screwed on with some type of air powered canister(I did not pay much attention to this product, but I did look at it). Basically it was a spray can, but you could take the lid off and pour your paint into it. You might want to call a few automotive paint stores in your area and ask if they have something like this. Wal Mart might have something like this. I don't think it was very expensive, but it still would be more expensive than buying spray cans.

To keep costs down it will be easier to buy spray cans especially if the product already does exactly what you want. The brand of paint Wal Mart had does not have any other stores in your state that carry it? I'm wondering due to if they can supply Wal Mart they must be a large company selling to many stores.

I know I could do some experimenting with a few different types of finishes, mix some glitter in them and spray the finishes on paper to get the desired effect. However experimenting costs money and you will probably save money by buying a case of this paint from the company that makes it. The benefit of making your own paint is you are not limited to what is available on the shelf and can customize the paint for exactly what you want. The automotive paint industry is built around customizing paint colors and metallic colors in paints.

Mike

Thanks much

I have a cup type spray gun and also an air brush. I have sprayed lacquer before and paint also. I was primarily looking for a formula. The stuff we use is made in my home state, direct from the mfg. it's $6.00 a can where at Wal Mart, they sell the same stuff for $3.00 a can and I don't have to buy a case. (maybe this post should be in "off topic forum") Anyway Mike thanks for taking time to help. I'll play around with it and try to come up with a formula, I was just trying to make it easier on myself if somebody out there has had experiance already.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

You may wantto ask one of the autobody or custom car/bike shops in your area. Take a sample of your cards and they may be able to tell you what they would use to duplicate in. In my limited experiance with pearl and metalic fleck paints it will be cheaper even at $6 a can to get it already made up. The smaller the quantity you buy the higher the per unit price is.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery