Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Nancy Hiller

RIP Nancy Hiller

Sad news and a big loss for the woodworking community. Nancy had been battling pancreatic cancer for some time and has passed on according to Lost Art Press.

Her book “Making Things Work” had a huge impact on me as I was transitioning into starting my WW business and working less for others when it came out.

She was scholarly, practical, hilarious, extremely skilled, and very kind.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Sad news and a big loss for the woodworking community. Nancy had been battling pancreatic cancer for some time and has passed on according to Lost Art Press.

Her book “Making Things Work” had a huge impact on me as I was transitioning into starting my WW business and working less for others when it came out.

She was scholarly, practical, hilarious, extremely skilled, and very kind.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/

I had not been aware of this talented woman, so thanks for the notice and link. I will investigate her writing.

So sorry to hear this, although I knew she was gravely ill. I learned a lot from her articles over the years.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Sorry to hear of her demise. Pancreatic cancer is so sudden and takes no prisoners. Her legacy is impressive. I will research some of her writings to add to my library.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

One issue that comes to mind is the relative scarcity of women in woodworking. They are few and far between in the trade around here, for no good reason. I hope to see more coming up. There are some in the turning club I belong to, but I never come across them in cabinet shops. Not that I get out much...

I saw Nancy on the front cover of a recent issue of FWW. She looked to be in very poor health and inside it discussed her diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Coincidentally, I was doing some research in another issue of FWW about 10 years old and Nancy was in that issue, too, looking vibrant and full of life. I'll miss seeing her articles.

There're plenty of reasons why you don't see many women in the woodworking (and most other) trades, mostly because of men. But it's slowly changing. Nancy and a few others were pioneers of women in woodworking.

John

Rest in Peace.
    Pancreatic is awful.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Sad news indeed. Her response to the cancer was as admirable as all of her work prior. A big loss.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I knew of her only by reputation and it was a good one. Prayers for her family and many friends.

As a previous owner of a one and then two man shop, I found her writing described that life so well. How so many of us of that age, that cut our teeth on FWW magazine, reset our path in life. She was a great talent and such a skilled writer. RIP Nancy, I hope your final journey was peaceful.

Thank you for posting this Phillip. Today was the first that I had heard of her, and by all accounts she was a wonderful person. I just bought a couple of her books and apparently I shall miss her even more after their reading.

Sad news. I was following her end of life journey through her articles and blog posts. It was apparent that her time on earth was about finished. Her work lives on forever. We should all hope for that.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Sad news. Pancreatic is a tough one. My mom had it but was one of the very few to beat it.

This is an extraordinary loss to many people, and woodworkers are just one little group that Nancy touched. Just a great lady, and a consummate writer and informal mentor. Nancy was kind enough to correspond with me as I've been working on a sideboard described in magazine articles and her book on English furniture. As sick as she was, she took time to talk with me about my work and my interpretation of her instructions. Her guidance was essential as I've been working on this, and she was just so kind to me and so giving of her time. What a great person.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    This is an extraordinary loss to many people, and woodworkers are just one little group that Nancy touched. Just a great lady, and a consummate writer and informal mentor. Nancy was kind enough to correspond with me as I've been working on a sideboard described in magazine articles and her book on English furniture. As sick as she was, she took time to talk with me about my work and my interpretation of her instructions. Her guidance was essential as I've been working on this, and she was just so kind to me and so giving of her time. What a great person.
    What a great story. Thanks for telling us this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”