Thread: Oversized jointer knives

Oversized jointer knives

I have a perfectly good set of four 8 inch jointer knives that are 13/16 inch wide/deep instead of the 3/4 inch specified for my jointer. I would like to use them but the issue is they are too high even when seated all they way into the cutter head. Yes, I could raise my outfeed table but then I could not use the knife setting tool that came with my machine. I know there are other methods for setting knife height, but I would like to be able to continue using the machine tool. Is it possible (or even advisable) to attempt to grind 1/16 inch off the butt of these knives? Has anyone tried this? Or is there another solution that I'm overlooking?

Thanks

Actually I would only need to take off about 1/32 inch and they could then be set with the machine jig.
    Last edited by Maurice Arney; 09-01-2022 at 9:41 AM.

I would bring to my saw service guy and tell him to grind them. Keep them all in balance so they weigh the same
    Aj

Personally I would take them to a machine shop so all three knives can be ground at the same time. BUT, that may be half or more of the cost for another set of the correct knives.

Very good point about keeping them balanced. I hadn't thought about that. It may not be worth trying to use them.

what is the projection when mounted in the head? Put a dial on the head and zero it rotate the head and what is the high number tip of the knife

Ue a diamond file or a abrasive disk in a angle grinder and cut a small nick in the cutting edge of each blade. make the nick the 1/16 deep. tell your sharpener to grind them down until the nick is gone on all three knives. Or just tell him to grind off the 1/16 extra.
    Bill D

I have a set like that too, still in the plastic case for probably over 35 years.