Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box hardware

Box hardware

Anybody got a recommendation of a good source for medium to large box hardware? I've got 105 whiskey boxes to build (double box for 2 bottles, opening between the bottles like a butterfly). I was tricked on Amazon with pictures. What I got was insanely small and very poor quality (surprise). Got to have a couple of hinges and a latch for each box.
    Thanks
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

I like Lee Valley for that kind of thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If this a high quality product, then Brusso hinges would be my first choice, and they also have templates for every hinge, which once set up makes making multiple boxes a lot easier. Make sure you order some extra screws, both the steel thread chasing screw and a few of the solid brass ones, which sometimes snap off if you don't use the steel screw to start the threads and don't wax the brass screws. Lee Valley carries Brusso, but if you order direct from Brusso, they can give you the extra screws, which match the thread size perfectly, otherwise it is a trip to the hardware store where the threads while technically the same size aren't identical.
    Regards,

Tom

You don't say how nice or give a budget.

I'm a LV kind of guy, but I keep hearing that if you want the good stuff to check out Horton Brasses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I like Lee Valley for that kind of thing.
    +1 There are a few quality small box hardware manufacturers but for larger numbers something "better than most but not Brusso" may fit the bill.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My issue with cheap brass plated stamped hinges is that they are hit and miss insofar as quality is concerned--out of square, inconsistent thickness, the two leaves being not coplanar, and often require a few minutes with a file, a vise, or a pair of vise grips to get them so the box top closes properly without gaps.
    Regards,

Tom

I’ve noticed same thing as Tom. Sometimes it’s just people taking them out of the cardboard boxes , shuffling them and them putting them
    back. I’ve seen solid brass hinges placed next to the plated stuff. Beware!

on the run of boxes I did i had to match the last person hardware and all. There are several suppliers that offer cheaper and better stuff. Not sure if i can find but them but think the hinges came from Nova Scotia. I used a blade to cut a slit and knocked them in. Simple and easy and they worked fine and lasted. Just depends what you are doing and how many.

I was able to match what I needed at this company. They are in Canada and the US.

ddd.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 09-02-2022 at 12:30 PM.

Depending on your budget, https://www.horton-brasses.com/ makes fantastic hardware, most of it made in USA and equal to Brusso in quality for less money. I believe they give discounts for large quantities too.

Unfortunately, I've found that quality hardware is harder to find and/or increasing in cost.

I've bought quadrant hinges from theses guys and they were a step above the press brass stuff but not Brusso money. Might want to check them out. They are also on ebay.
    https://craft-inc.com/

for tom (or others) - why no wax on brass screws?
    jerry
    jerry

I am a big fan of both Lee Valley and Brusso Hardware. For me I am always happy with Brusso's hardware. Also check out White Chapple https://whitechapel-ltd.com/ They have nice stuff as well. For brass screws I will pre-drill then install steel screws that are the same size as the brass screws and then remove the steel screws and install the brass screws. A little more work but I don't break the brass screws that way.

Back in the 70's I did a couple runs of 500 3 bottle wine boxes for a local winery. The boxes had a sliding cover that was letter pressed with the winery logo.

I doubt I would've taken the job if it included buying/installing hardware