Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Good Morning and yes.....another weekend has come and gone. It's time to share what you planned for your weekend AND IF you got done what you had hopes of getting done.

No shop time for me. I was oncall again at work this week 102 hours of work during a week that only has 168 hours in it. Just doesn't leave much time for anything else. I came off call today and I'm happy but Exhausted.

So....what did YOU get done this weekend in your shop or around your home?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I actually got in the shop this weekend to do a little turning. Otherwise, I was working on some SketchUp! renderings of home addition ideas (we want to start looking at it more seriously soon), checking out why water was coming in through an 18" thick stone wall in the girls room, draining a couple inches of water out of the fish pond due to the recent rain, spending time at the playground and attempting to find time to sleep soundly. (The latter sounds like something Dennis needs!)

Have a great week.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Busy weekend for me Dennis, finished my wifes oak nightstand on Saturday night, then made a cherry plaque for a distinguished 3rd. District commander who will be visiting our local American Legion, made a birdseye maple picture frame for a friend who just lost his father and I thought a picture of his dad in a BE Maple frame would be a nice thing to do for him.

My wife and I paid Larry Merlau and his wife a visit on Sunday afternoon...made for a nice weekend here.

I was finally able to find some time in the shop on Saturday. I was working on a new vanity for our master bath. The front is curly cherry, anyways I was having a heck of a time getting the doors to line up. It is a modern design, so no face frames and the doors are solid panels with 1/8" gaps. Well after about an hour I leaned on the cabinet and realized that it rocked. looked below and saw that one of the legs was not touching. I used those plastic adjustable legs you get from Rockler. I screwed the one leg up a little more and everything started lining up. So I finished the door and drawer adjustments, sanded and put a coat of wipe-on poly/ura blend. Some steel wool on Sunday. I still need to put three more coats on, but Sunday was spent installing some new faucet fixtures in the guest bathroom and of course football.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I spent the weekend in Austin, Texas at the Mini Max seminar. I learned alot about my 410 Combo from Sam and others. Super bunch of people in attendance.
    It did turn out to be very expensive. They had way to many "good deals" to turn down.

I went to the Woodworking show in Indianapolis. I have had my eye on an Incra table saw fence since I got my router system 4 years ago. I received permission from LOML and came home fence system in hand. Now I just need to set it up!

-Ryan

It was the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby weekend for our Pack. My son won 1st place in his Den as well as Pack Champion.

Right before we left I whipped up a 2nd car for the Open Class. It took all of 10 minutes. It won 1st place. I entered it under my youngest son's name and he got a kick out of accepting the trophy.

The Fancher Clan cruised out of there with three 1st place trophies. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday. We all had a blast.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    A little home remuttling. Mostly spent time at my moms doing some plumbing installing grab bars. She bounced off the floor last week and took some fixtures with her . We got her and the house patched up I think.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    A little home remuttling. Mostly spent time at my moms doing some plumbing installing grab bars. She bounced off the floor last week and took some fixtures with her . We got her and the house patched up I think.
    Ouch! Glad to hear she's doing ok. That's scary no matter what age you are.

It's kind of strange, but since having the baby a few weeks ago I actually have more weekend shop time than usual. We cleared our calendar in anticipation of the baby so there's nothing else really going on.
    I got my spray booth up and sprayed my router table this weekend. The router table has been functionally complete for a long time now, but no finish ... just the ticket for trying out a new finishing technique.
    I got the booth up on Saturday, which involved learning to use a new ... uhhhh ... power tool? ... the sewing machine.
    Sunday, I disassembled the table, sanded, 1 coat of sealer and 2 coats of wb lacquer, and reassembled the table. I also managed some time to excercise and play with the kids.
    I'll do a thread on my spray booth one night this week when time permits.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

DC Tower

A long-overdue project, I completed an air-filtration "tower." About 4 years ago a customer was about to toss a 240-volt blower motor and squirrel cage from an old HVAC system. I offered to take it off his hands-HA! It sat in my shop gathering dust until this weekend. The tower is 75" tall and houses the blower on the bottom. One vertical side is solid, and the other three incorporate a total of nine 16X25 filters.

I picked up several 240-volt "contactors" from Marlin P. Jones (www.mpj.com) for less than $5.00 each. (They are listed as "refurbished" but came out-of-the box brand spanking new.) I previously used one for my 240-volt DC system that collects sawdust from my various machines. These devices are activated with a 115-volt connection from a switch. Rocker switch cost about $10 from the local hardware store.

Tower is built from plywood and SPF left over from various projects. Total cost about $25. And it moves a LOT of air!

Bert

Finished a Cherry plate rail shelf for the living room for display of some antique plates, and spent time cleaning the shop on Saturday. Sunday afternoon took 7yr old son to Johnson Space Center for his birthday and monitored the Steeler game from my cell phone In the evening, I fitted the fronts for 8 inset drawers and watched the NFC championship game. With any luck and time, I'll finish dovetailing the drawers and get them assembled over the next week or so (if I can stay away from the spinny thing long enough). All in all, a good weekend

We're getting ready to do some room shuffling, so it is mostly going to be home-oriented work over the next little while.

My beloved is (reluctantly) giving up her sewing room - since we need to use it as a bedroom - and will relocate to the tv room in the basement. So the tv room was emptied and the tv reconfigged into the playroom. The single bulb fixture was pulled out and on Saturday evening I wired up two four-foot T8 fixtures with daylight bulbs (6000 degree kelvin, quite white!) to brighten up the space and make up for the lack of a window.

Mass production in action: a two tube electronic ballast T8 fixture, complete with a wraparound bezel, was cheaper than a single tube, no bezel, fixture.

Furthermore, since the TV room is on the other side of the wall from my basement shop, I then spent a couple hours on Sunday afternoon cutting and fitting 1/8" thick panels in place to block/seal the joist space that connects the two rooms. (there is no ceiling in either space, and we're keeping it like that.) Just to be as complete as possible, I also taped all the seams/cracks. This, along with the new DC that I got over christmas, should hopefully keep the dust out of my beloved's sewing machines.

The next thing will probably be re-fitting the sewing room closet to suit the reach of a five year old... (I hate stock closets. The design is so useless)

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [quote=Bert Johansen]A long-overdue project, I completed an air-filtration "tower." About 4 years ago a customer was about to toss a 240-volt blower motor and squirrel cage from an old HVAC system. I offered to take it off his hands-HA! It sat in my shop gathering dust until this weekend. The tower is 75" tall and houses the blower on the bottom. One vertical side is solid, and the other three incorporate a total of nine 16X25 filters.

Tower is built from plywood and SPF left over from various projects. Total cost about $25. And it moves a LOT of air!

Bert[/quote]
    Sounds like a great Idea Bert. I love to see a finished pix. Great price on contactors too.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 01-23-2006 at 12:39 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I planned on doing a set of flat panel doors for a customer this weekend and did get that done on Saturday. I hired a helper for the day and we finished up on 34 doors and 16 drawer fronts. Sunday I didn't mean to get a lot done but wound up staying in the shop all day anyway and got the panels glued and cut to size for the next order of 46 raised panel doors for next weekend. I fooled around with learning how to make arched top rails for making glass paneled doors and discovered a method using my home made rail jig. Then I did 8 glass paneled doors. I actually got more done than I meant to do so I guess that is a good thing.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.