Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dove Tail chisels

Dove Tail chisels

These won't be to everyone's taste. Some will like them and some will think making chisels with acrylic polymer handles is blasphemy. There's a big ole world out there with a lot to like and I guess dislike.

Anyway, these are small dovetail chisels. Overall length 6". Sizes are 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4". Blades are high carbon steel with cold blue treatment.

Turning the acrylic has been quite the learning curve. It takes a bit more feed pressure but at the same time you can't get too aggressive or it will blow out. In regards to hitting it with a mallet it seems to be very durable.

Ron

Those are neat Ron. Will they be posted as "available" on your website?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Those do look great Ron.

As the saying goes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Though these may not be what my 'eye' would want in a chisel, someone will surely salivate over their beauty. Surely when the first plastic handles arrived on the scene many liked them because wood was "just so ordinary."

Of course there will be others who want them in wood toned colors or even lavender, purple and fluorescent mauve.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Frederick these have already found a new home.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post
    Frederick these have already found a new home.

Ron
    Good for you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think they look great, and wouldn't mind using them if I could figure out which two fingers to hold them with.

Definitely look super attractive- and I’d have a hard time deciding whether to do wood or something like those!
    Of course, I guess that makes the case for one of each 😳

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ... or even lavender, purple and fluorescent mauve. ...
    That might be nice as a pop of color down at the end of a chisel rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I think they look great, and wouldn't mind using them if I could figure out which two fingers to hold them with.
    I agree. I like to have a handle a minimum of five inches long so I can hold it in my hand and not worry about hitting knuckles with a mallet. Andre Roubo suggested the same thing 250 years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    That might be nice as a pop of color down at the end of a chisel rack.
    Maybe a different color for each size like my old Xcelite nutdriver set:

Xcelite Nutdriver Set.jpg

That would make it easy to grab the wanted size without having to stop and look as much.

Most of my chisels have shop made handles and are of various woods.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice looking chisels Ron. Cold blueing is interesting. Rust prevention for sure. I like the look of the colorful plastic.
    Jim

Visually these are very interesting. I liked the blue set you posted in June. The caramel set you posted at the same time was really nice.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Truly beautiful. I've been using standard Crown butt chisels for years, but now realize I'm just ordinary. Must be a pleasure picking these off the rack for that purpose.

Hi Ron

I think your workmanship (is it politically correct to use this phrase?) is superb, and I like that you are creative in your thinking. As one who enjoys joinery by hand, especially dovetailing, I am curious about your ideas leading to the design of these chisels.

In particular, can we have a close up of the blades - the angle and size of the lands is important to me. The thickness of the blade is also a factor, and this is felt when paring away <1mm slices (such as at the upper boundary of a half-blind socket). As supplied, what is the bevel angle?

For chopping, I prefer a longer handle, but recognise that there are many methods and many users. What are your thoughts here?

Lastly, about the handle material - this looks very durable, but does it feel like wood? Certainly, NO ONE is going to lose one under a pile of shavings!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-04-2022 at 12:04 AM.

Derek you ask good questions.

The side bevels are 20 degrees, enough to clear the corner of the steepest typical DT angles. The primary bevel at the cutting edge is 25 degrees with a secondary honed bevel at 30 degrees. I find this a good combination for paring and chopping. Having control of the heat treating process allows me to tweak the tempering to produce favorable characteristics for the chisel's intended purpose. These are tempered at a slightly higher temperature than say a chisel meant for paring. That helps them hold up to chopping. When I test these I should be able to pare cleanly, then chop a base line and still go back and pare cleanly. If it passes this test I know I have the heat treating spot on. There is little to no land on the sides of these chisels. Once surface ground I typically have to break the edges with a piece of fine abrasive so as to make them safe to hold. The thickness is a nominal 1/8" but I make these from oversize stock so once ground they are typically .135 to .138 finished thickness.

The size came about when I was doing a lot of dovetailing on a couple projects. Even though I cut some nice joinery on those projects I did notice that there was a tendency for my edge to walk slightly out of the knife line when I changed my focus to the striking point at the top of the chisel handle. The longer chisels have a higher center of gravity. The small size lowers the center of gravity and puts the knife line and the top of the handle in one line of sight so there is no need to change your focus when striking the top. This is evidently a common issue because these have proved to be one of the most popular chisels I offer.

The way dovetailing is taught these days there is a lot of emphasis on efficient methods to excavate waste. Bashing out a lot of waste with a chisel wears out three things. The person doing the work, the handle of the chisel and most importantly the edge. If more efficient waste excavation is your method then a large chisel with a bigger handle is no longer a necessity. I much prefer to save my sharp chisel edges for the important work of cutting cleanly to the knife lines.

Ron