Thread: Jig for a handle..

Jig for a handle..

Having to repaint 9 upper cabinet door in the kitchen, 10 drawer fronts, and 10 lower cabinet doors..Boss' idea, not mine...doors already had the handles...except, instead of 2 bolts..only one had been installed....uppers I could take down and work on..and drill the second bolt hole.....however..them lower doors ?

One....they were painted in place, after I removed the handles..why? Because there was no way this 69 yr old body was getting down to remove the bottom hinges...and slotted screws, to boot. Needed a jig of some sort, where I could set the correct spacing for that second (lower) bolt hole...
    Handle Jig, outside view.JPG
    (done with a hand held camera..) one hole held a bolt, for the top, existing hole.....second guide hole is to drill the second bolt hole...top bolt sticks out enough..
    Handle Jig, Locator Bolt.JPG
    That I can use it to locate where to clamp the jig...by inserting the bolt into the "top" hole..
    Handle Jig, clamped in place.JPG
    And clamp in place...MK II, MOD 4 Eyeballs to look straight down the side of the jig, to make sure it LOOKS parallel to the edge of the door..then..
    Handle Jig, drilled.JPG
    Drill bit matches the size of the bolts..installed handle is in the last photo...

Managed to get 10 doors "de-handled", painted...and 5 handles installed...after the paint had dried....before the lower back said "ENOUGH!"...I'll do the last 5 handles tomorrow. Jig is just a strip of Maple scrap..

Saves the guess work....price was right, too...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

The reason this jig works....is because there is already an existing hole....old handles were just a single bolt knob....to where I could use one bolt to register with..and drill the lower hole.

LOTS of fancy jigs on the market to do this sort of thing....I simply made a little jig to get the job done. Had to buy a bag of bolts as both the upper and lower door handles needed that second bolt...When I finally get these all installed, I might take a couple photos...IF anyone wants to look...

Photos?
    Handles, lower ones.JPG
    All done...9 upper doors, and 10 lower doors....Drawers did not need re-drilled...
    Handles, upper ones.JPG