Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable Router Recall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Porter Cable Router Recall

Just noticed this on Porter Cable's site. They have announced a recall on 890 series routers. More information here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Just noticed this on Porter Cable's site. They have announced a recall on 890 series routers. More information here.
    Well I guess I'm glad I do not have those models. I have the 690, 7500 series routers. The old reliables.

Mine is recalled, darn it

At least the factory service center is only 5 miles from my house.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will be visiting the repair center. I guess if I am going I hope they have a deal on a laminate trimmer.

Bob

Matt - Thanks for the alert. Unfortunately my router qualifies. The nearest service center is 40 miles away but after only gentle prodding, PC "volunteered" to send me a label to take care of the shipping.

310,690, 7518, tried-n-true like steve said......thanks for the heads up matt....02 tod

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    310,690, 7518, tried-n-true like steve said......thanks for the heads up matt....02 tod
    I have 2 of the 690's and a Dewalt 621, but I figured there were a lot of folks on here who had the newer models. I was there looking for something else, but noticed the recall info.

Thanks Matt. I called them today and they are sending me a call tag to ship mine in at their expense. I only used it in the table and I have another one I can use, but it's still kind of a pain to go without it.

I bought an 890 last year and I didn't have to wait for the recall. I had it back to my retailer within two weeks and bought the Bosch 1617evs. The Porter Cable was extremely disappointing to say the least.

Dan Owen

I have one that is on the recall unfortunatly it has several other problems and wish they would just replace it. I should have sent it back right out of the box. It is by far the worst PC product I have ever bought, Motor insert was froze in the base when I got it due to poor machining and the plunge base walks on the down stroke so bad I could barely use it but I needed to get some jobs done so I made the best of it I could. Hopfully the repair center will just replace the whole unit.
    Larry

Thanks for the headsup Matt. Luckily(?) the service center is only a few miles from my work so I'll just make a detour and drop it off. If I'm blessed maybe they can fix or check it while I wait.

Mike

I also happen to have one of the affected routers. I called the factory service center in Columbus, OH and was told to bring in the motor for a replacement.

Ron

I have a friend that has one of these and I will let him know... I took a look at the link you provided and I find it funny that the links to the other languages are written in English as in "click here for Spanish" and "click here for French"

I would hate to be a person that only spoke one of those languages and was not sure what I was looking at...
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Unhappy

I didn't see this (or get my email from Amazon) early enough to call. The nearest Factory Service Center is 280 miles away (don't know how their software determines mileage. it is better than Woodfinders (which must be air miles), but greatly exaggerates the distances.

I had money I wanted to spend and this router came out, seemingly answering my prayers (very small shop, limited budget) from a company with a good reputation. I waited for reviews but couldn't wait long enough. I haven't used it a lot, haven't noticed some of the problems. I never had a plunge router before, but this seems awfully stiff. I still like it (miles better than my craftsman), but the recall is discouraging.
    Bb

Yup. Just got the email from Amazon.com about my router. I will have to dig around the garage to see if mine is effected.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.