Thread: Ridge vent selection?

Ridge vent selection?

Folks -

I've taken on the job of fixing my daughter's roof leak. The leak is at the apex of the roof, and the aluminum ridge vent that was there didn't look to be fastened any too well, lots of loose nails, no sealant underneath (architectural shingles), and it didn't look properly shingled at the ends - it looked like the first shingle after the ridge vent just wasn't there, and there were exposed nail heads on the shingles that were there. The product that was there looked very much like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Air-Vent-8-...e-Vent/3044670.

So I tried taking the ridge vent off to make repairs, but the ends of each section where they slid into each other and the flanges around the nail holes ended up getting damaged in the process. I put the ridge vent back, with sealant underneath, and with good quality screws and nails with neoprene washers, but there's now a leak in another spot, and I'm pretty sure it's just because of the damage to the vent. The rood otherwise looked fine, including the part that was covered by the ridge vent.

Anyhow, Im figuring best move at this point is to just replace the ridge vent entirely. I am looking for opinions on what type and which product to use. I've done some roofing, but only small structures (shed, chicken coop, like that) , and haven't previously installed a ridge vent. I have all the usual tools including a coil nailer (HF, but worked fine for a doing 12 x 24 foot shed a couple years ago). Would folks recommend replacing with another aluminum one? Or, one of the sectional plastic ones, to be covered by cap shingles - there seem to be a number of these types. Or, one of the roll out ones, also to be covered by cap shingles.

Expense, within reason, isn't a factor. The ridge is only about 40 feet long. It'd be nice if it was readily available at the big box store (the Lowe's near them, in Ware Ma seems to have a good selection). Ease of installation, meaning I can't screw it up AGAIN, would be very much preferred.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Ken in Granby, CT

I have not had any issues with the hard plastic type that you nail the cap shingles onto.
    similar to:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Air-Vent...VBLN/308306135

In general not a good idea to reuse roofing materials, the holes never match up etc. Search for a gunnable ridge vent, not all of them are supposed to be installed with a nail gun. For sure get a long roll that will span the entire roof. I'm not sure where you are but a lot of times you can get better stuff from the places that cater to roofers/professionals. I'm sure you know what you are doing but from your description I was wondering about the shingles. there should be a shingle under the ridge vent, then you put on the ridge vent, then put cap on top of it. I prefer plastic for ridge vent but lead for all the other penetrations..

Thanks. Adam, I think that is the sort I'll go with. Home Depot has a GAF product, and sticking with a name brand may not be necessary, but it seems to me to increase the odds it's a good product. Plus then I'll use their brand cap shingles over it, and it ought to fit properly.

Alex, clearly it was kinda boneheaded to reuse - it was one of those seemed like a good idea at the time, when working under time pressure, deals. I'd prefer to use my gun, but hand nailing isn't a big deal for a 40 foot run - plus my son in law is young and has a strong arm.

I probably didn't describe the shingle problem well. It was at the end of the ridge vent, where there should be a couple feet of regular cap shingles. On the one end, the first cap shingle after the ridge vent wasn't properly installed, so the nails and tar strip were exposed.

I guess I'm going to basically be following the old saying about not enough time to do it right the first time, but enough time to go back and do it again.....