Thread: Fancy cutting boards made as awards for marathon being run this Sunday

Fancy cutting boards made as awards for marathon being run this Sunday

I'm a lifetime competitive runner (my PR's were all set 40 years ago...) and this spring I was asked to make the awards for my beloved local marathon, the New England Green River Marathon. The course follows the Green River from up near its source in the Green Mountains of Vermont, down an idyllic narrow wooded valley into Greenfield, MA. It's a beautiful, (downhill!) course, a really special race. The race directors are fellow running friends, so I really wanted to go all out on this one. I made 23 boards for them of differing sizes, all with the same inlaid image in sapele, birds-eye maple, koa , quilted maple, and araracanga. The borders for the large boards are eucalyptus (that came on a pallet of koa many years ago), and cherry for the small ones The inlays are 3/32" thick. The larger boards have tapered dovetail bread board ends. The video link shows how I round-over the edges, climb feeding with my Little Proteus power feeder. The project was a perfect synthesis of conventional woodworking techniques with my shop built CNC router doing things that otherwise would be impractical if not impossible.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_rSRF9Xj0s
    Attached Images Attached Images

Al, those are so pretty that no one will ever use them as cutting boards!

I also didnt realize you'd completed work on the power feeder. IIRC, you talked about that here a couple times when you were first thinking through the design. I see you're selling them on your webite. Hope it goes well!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-26-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Those will make great awards, Al, and never be used for their stated purpose! Well done.

John

" so pretty.....never be used for their stated purpose!" ...maybe....The flip side lacks the inlay, so just mountain meeting sky. A bit more "cuttable"....

As a runner, I can say those are the coolest and most unique awards I've seen. I'm sure the recipients get a huge kick out of having them--most likely, where they keep their running stuff.