Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: power tool alignment for precision

Soft maple joined with Helmitin white glue as out of yellow. White glue turns dark but all I had at the time. All joints are sprung.

Thanks for the heads up on furniture, wish you had told me over 40 years ago could have saved a ton on machinery.

P1370174A.jpg

Here's a strip of cherry, off the recently sharpened jointer on the right side, and hand planed on the left. I tried to show the mill marks, which you can just see in the right light. The shine is from the jointer knives burnishing the wood surface. The feel is kind of like the difference between sanded 180, and sanded 320. Second pic some Luan resawn & glued up- glue beads have been scraped but othewise just out of the clamps.

IMG_3548.jpegIMG_3551.jpg
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 10-07-2022 at 11:10 PM.

I just showed you and almost white wood jointed off a jointer. There are no visible glue lines.

On top it was a glue that goes dark unlike helmitins yellow glue. That glues makes a dark glue line but you cant see diddly.

We used to get some questions on jointing . Haven’t seen may lately. Lot of jointer fences can not be depended on to stay at 90 degrees,
    that’s the “ straight-up “ 90 , NOT the Temperature 90 ! When jointing to glue up panels I lay each panel out to match up the way I want ,
    then pencil a big V across to mark that. Then joint one board face to fence , next board face OUT. That cancels out any error in fence
    accuracy. When I glue them up I get flat panels NOT wooden gutter sections !
    I have alway used “sprung “ joints and have never had a joint open up at ends, and many of them were used for exterior . Used to be
    a “do it right or get out practice “ , in commercial shops . Now it’s mostly “whatever”.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 10-08-2022 at 12:40 AM.

I use both machines and hand tools. Neither is necessarily better for all applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    We used to get some questions on jointing . Haven’t seen may lately. Lot of jointer fences can not be depended on to stay at 90 degrees,
    that’s the “ straight-up “ 90 , NOT the Temperature 90 ! When jointing to glue up panels I lay each panel out to match up the way I want ,
    then pencil a big V across to mark that. Then joint one board face to fence , next board face OUT. That cancels out any error in fence
    accuracy. When I glue them up I get flat panels NOT wooden gutter sections !
    I have alway used “sprung “ joints and have never had a joint open up at ends, and many of them were used for exterior . Used to be
    a “do it right or get out practice “ , in commercial shops . Now it’s mostly “whatever”.

Do you get the sprung joints off the jointer?

Cant speak for Mel, he was a speech writer.

I use a rasp, used to use my jointer for spring joints but it made it too easy.