Thread: Heater settings

Heater settings

Question regarding heater settings. I'm using a Hot Dawg heater in my shop (I'm in central NH) and I turn it down to 40 degrees when I'm not in the shop. I read somewhere recently that it's recommended to keep the heat a bit higher, like 50 degrees, as supposedly it doesn't take as long or use as much fuel to bring the temperature in the shop back up to working temps, like 65 to 70 degrees.

What are you guys doing that have Hot Dawg (or comparable) shop heaters doing?

Is the unit sized properly for the space or oversized? A lot of folks like a larger heater so they flash fry the place. That will heat the air but the mass of the tools and fixtures in the space take time to warm. Whether it is uncomfortable touching a 40 or 50* CI table saw is up to you. The amount of fuel needed will be greater at the higher temp, but the real key to your question is heat loss or building leakage. See if yoou can find someone who does thermal imaging. Having said that I just looked and there are a number of apps for such. Shoot the building and seal up any leaks. Do you have a Wi-Fi stat on the doggie? It is nice being able to turn it up in the am while you are having coffee and go into a pre-warmed place.

If you have water lines in the shop, your insurance company may require you to keep it warmer.

Thanks. No water lines to contend with. New construction, 2X6 16" OC fully insulated with R35 blown in insulation in the ceiling so it's insulated to the same level as my house.

I’m in Minnesota, shop is a detached 24x24 garage, 9’ ceilings. I have a similar heater to a hot dawg and I just leave it at 55. I like working with a sweatshirt on and it’s a nice balance of cool, yet tools stay nice to touch. I’m mainly a hand tool guy, so I like all my stuff to be a constant temp

Another thing to consider when having a large temp swing in the space is that even in a well insulated building you will, can, may have occasions where you trip the dew point in the shop and ambient moisture will condense onto your cold steel & CI tools. Not a pleasant experience.