Thread: For folks who like to do unique cutting boards and other laminations...

For folks who like to do unique cutting boards and other laminations...

For folks who like to do unique cutting boards and other laminations...here's an interesting technique and some vocabulary to enjoy...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Interesting process and a very able presenter, thanks.
    I think he should have used a short pattern-making bit in his router table for the first routing of the parts after the band saw, but who am I to suggest advice to this guy!

Well, it's not a router table safety video
    2009, no CNC, no epoxy fill.
    Pinwheel Platter1.jpg

My router table terrifies me. More than my jointer or any circular/plunge saw (I have a Sawstop so little fear there). I do everything I can to keep my fingers away from the bits.

Saw that, pretty good video for a subject that seems to done nearly to death he's found an interesting spin. Best part of the video is the first few minutes describing tesseract and how to make them. I could see this being generally useful in a variety of places.

First, it's tessellation not tesseract, someone watched Capt. Marvel too much?

The only reason I posted was to point out that you don't need epoxy fill to hide your joints.
    I would also have used a large cove and matching roundover bit to cut the segment profile on a billet laying down, then cut each segment to height.
    He simply made the process more difficult and less safe than it had to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    First, it's tessellation not tesseract, someone watched Capt. Marvel too much?
    More like "A Wrinkle in Time", but sure, I get them confused, thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    The only reason I posted was to point out that you don't need epoxy fill to hide your joints.
    I would also have used a large cove and matching roundover bit to cut the segment profile on a billet laying down, then cut each segment to height.
    He simply made the process more difficult and less safe than it had to be.
    He makes the same point at the end of the video, but it's an interesting question. I think he also makes this needlessly unsafe, but sometimes it's easier to see things that way in hidesight. Like he could have further reduced the size of the pieces a second time so the router table holding jig would have worked, but he did not. Lots of places to improve without a doubt, but the most important thing, IMHO, was the idea of a tesselation for these sorts of pieces.

I agree that the resin wasn't required for this kind of project, Edward, but I also did like the effect it produced to provide an even color break between the intersections of the tessellation pattern...a design thing, if you will, that I find attractive. I personally like "that side" better than the back and would have found a way to repair the edge rather than just rebate it out for the step effect that "Mr Moth" ended up doing.

I do find "Mr Moth" to be a really good presenter and he's not adverse to be totally transparent about challenges, mistakes, etc., during his videos. That makes it more real, IMHO.

Andrew, I agree that the discussion early on in the video about the "what it is" was really interesting and I'm glad he tool so much time 'splaining that. I learned some interesting things for sure.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I do find "Mr Moth" to be a really good presenter and he's not adverse to be totally transparent about challenges, mistakes, etc., during his videos. That makes it more real, IMHO.
    Agreed, particularly since he nearly took off a finger. Very much an object lesson. Way too many people who gloss over these sorts of things and present a bit too rosey a picture. Then when us mere mortals get into the shop we get discouraged because it's not all rainbows and unicorns and figure we're failing in some way, instead of it just being part of the process.

He had to fix a major mistake with his treehouse/suspension bridge project for his tween son to play on...he was pretty humble about it there, too.
    --

I do a bit of segmented turning. Making small pieces and figuring out to hold them can be difficult. I would never try to work with such small pieces like he did. I can tell you for a fact, I would never have my finger anywhere near that close to a router bit, period.
    Many times, if there is a simple profile which already exists, (like a matched set of router bits), it's often better than to try and create your own. You will get a consistent result with less time and frustration.
    If you make your own matched profile, make your templates first on the bandsaw (or your tool/s of choice), once they're refined and mate well, then you can use them on a router jig.
    All I can say is he's lucky he didn't get hurt, humble or not.

Edward, that was the point he was making in his humbleness...that the parts were too small to do safely that way. Hence, he adapted so he could use the sled to hold the workpieces securely and safely.
    --

Good video... thanks for posting...