Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christmas Toys for Charity Toy Drives

I didn't make any toys this years but I plan to next year. The woodworking club I belong to made 2500+ toys this year for local child-focused organizations.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I didn't make any toys this years but I plan to next year. The woodworking club I belong to made 2500+ toys this year for local child-focused organizations.
    Wow, 2500 is a lot of toys, how many members? Hope you stick to your plan and we get to see some pictures of your creations next year.

Good on you. I make items for a local juvenile grief organization. They have a silent auction every year to generate funding. They like my stuff as it tends to Jack the bidding up. I am humbled at what some folks pay them for my work. It seems like a good retirement gig for me.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Wow, 2500 is a lot of toys, how many members?
    Our club (actually a non-profit) is Woodworkers Of Central Ohio (WOCO). I think there's about 145 members overall. It looks like there 30-35 members that made toys this year. In prior years there were more members making toys, with the annual totals coming in around 4000 toys.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Last weekend local WW group assembled over 900 push cars for Toys for Tots. I only cut out the bodies, and they assemble. Over the years, I have cut out over 12,000. But that's not the record by any means, as I was a late comer to the game. Main thing is put a smile on a child's face on Christmas morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Our club (actually a non-profit) is Woodworkers Of Central Ohio (WOCO). I think there's about 145 members overall. It looks like there 30-35 members that made toys this year. In prior years there were more members making toys, with the annual totals coming in around 4000 toys.
    Just got word that a member made a late delivery of almost 1000 wood toys bumping the total up to about 3500 toys this year. Big surprise to us. Since we had already finished distribution to local agencies, this batch went to the U.S. Marines Toys for Tots.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-13-2022 at 2:19 PM.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Good on you. I make items for a local juvenile grief organization. They have a silent auction every year to generate funding. They like my stuff as it tends to Jack the bidding up. I am humbled at what some folks pay them for my work. It seems like a good retirement gig for me.
    Good on you too Rob! I've heard that some agencies here around Columbus will do the same. I've been thinking about what I could make and donate. I think this next year will be about getting some toy production rolling, and then add in some nicer pieces to donate for auction maybe the following year.
    Brian

Great to hear others are also making toys for Christmas and I like Brian's idea of also making some pieces to donate for charity auctions. I delivered my toys today, about 50 total including 60 stacking cats in sets of 12. Now I can concentrate on some gifts for family and friends.