Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reasonably priced hot sauce?

I think I have more input that could be helpful.

People who don't live in Florida may not be familiar with Jamaican food. Jamaicans make some really nice hot sauces under the Matouk's label. Flavor, not just heat. Also, a Jamaican company called Ocho Rios makes wonderful spicy ketchup.

Spicy ketchup may not sound good, but it's wonderful. It's not just hot ketchup. It makes the sweetness and flavors come out. I can't get Ocho Rios ketchup where I live now, so I take Hunt's and mix Crystal into it.

Why Hunt's? Because it's actually better than Heinz. Heinz has great marketing, but it comes in second in taste tests.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    I think I have more input that could be helpful.

People who don't live in Florida may not be familiar with Jamaican food. Jamaicans make some really nice hot sauces under the Matouk's label. Flavor, not just heat. Also, a Jamaican company called Ocho Rios makes wonderful spicy ketchup.
    You bring up a great point about Jamaican food.
    The pepper used in Jamaican hot sauce is the scotch bonnet. It looks a lot like a habanero but larger, and they can be red, orange or green. Turns out the two peppers are cousins, but there are differences. They have a somewhat different flavor, and the scotch bonnet is considerably hotter. Yes, Jamaican hot pepper sauce is pretty hot.

The scale for measuring the heat in peppers is called Scoville Units. A Habanero rates about 260,000 on the Scoville scale, and a Scotch Bonnet is about 450,000, so quite a bit hotter. By comparison a Jalapeno can range anywhere between 1000-4000. A Carolina Reaper can be as high as 2,000,000. That's dangerous living.

For real Heinz - you have to buy the Simply Heinz - it's made with no high fructose corn syrup. They use sugar instead.
    It changes to whole way it tastes and eliminates the nasty aftertaste.

I was a loyal fan of Heinz my whole life until I read about Simply Heinz here.

IIRC, Heinz also makes it different for the Canadian market.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I tried canning tomatoes and peppers for the first time this summer. I had to get guidance from Mom. She also sent me a link to this video. I enjoyed it even though it made my efforts look and feel very clumsy.

Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Here is something for Tabasco fans who would like a bit more heat.

When recycling empty Tabasco bottles a shop made tool is used to remove the plastic flow restrictor:

Can Punch.jpg

Underneath the plastic piece was a collection of fiber from the Tabasco sauce. About a teaspoon of water was added so as to not waste this little bit of greatness. It was a more concentrated version of Tabasco. Twice as tasty to boot. This was from a large bottle, a smaller bottle might take less water.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You need to take a trip to Cincinnati to Jungle Jim's. They have HUGE hot sauce department.
    https://junglejims.com/market/hot-sauce/

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotsauce/co...&context=3
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale