Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resaw King, Necessary?

Resaw King, Necessary?

Are the Laguna Resaw King Carbide blades necessary for any type of longevity cutting wet wood? I've gone through a few Timberwolf and Proforce (Laguna brand) very quickly on some small cherry logs. The half inch blades last a log or 2 and the 3/4 not much longer. Both widths at 3tpi, 115" length.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 10-27-2022 at 1:58 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Are the Laguna Resaw King Carbide blades necessary for any type of longevity cutting wet wood? I've gone through a few Timberwolf and Proforce (Laguna brand) very quickly on some small cherry logs. The half inch blades last a log or 2 and the 3/4 not much longer. Both widths at 3tpi, 115" length.

How much is a log or two?

From what I read, the Resaw King has very little set in the teeth and takes more effort to push the wood through. NOT what you want for wet wood. I buy 3/4" sawmill blades that have less than 1 tooth per inch. Lots of set and not smooth cutting, but it flies through wet wood. They are very reasonable and can be sent back for a quick sharpening. These are blades designed for what you are doing. You are not resawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    How much is a log or two?
    8 inch wide by 10 our 12 inches long

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    From what I read, the Resaw King has very little set in the teeth and takes more effort to push the wood through. NOT what you want for wet wood. I buy 3/4" sawmill blades that have less than 1 tooth per inch. Lots of set and not smooth cutting, but it flies through wet wood. They are very reasonable and can be sent back for a quick sharpening. These are blades designed for what you are doing. You are not resawing.
    That's pretty aggressive. Where do you get those?

So are you saying you can only cut a few linear feet before your blades get dull?
    Something doesn't sound right

Blog Entries
    Dirty bark?

I use bi-metal blades (I think with with M42 teeth) that I resharpen myself. You can do that many times before replacing them. You need diamond wheels for carbide and the issue there is you are limited in the profiles available that will match your tooth profile, whereas HSS will sharpen with Alox wheels that can be profiled by yourself (with diamond) to suit your tooth profile.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

I process my blanks a little differently than others here. I use my chainsaw to remove the pith from the log and then my bandsaw to cut the blanks round. I started off with using blades from Highland and they would only last a couple of blanks before I would have to push pretty hard. That, of course, made the blade want to wander. It wasn't until I upgraded bandsaws that I bought Lenox bimetal blades. The difference is night and day. I use a 1/2" DieMaster 2 3 tpi and it cuts right through 10" blanks with almost no pressure. I've probably cut over 100 blanks now (along with plenty of dry hardwood) and it doesn't feel like it's dulled at all. Like the others have said, try a bimetal blade.

Thanks everyone, I'll pick up a couple Lenox blades and see how they run.

I resharpen with a dremel and diamond cutter while on the saw. Can do this many times before removing all the set and having to toss the blade out.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

When I got my first bandsaw, a friend told me to go to a local place that will make blades for me. They asked me what I do, and I told them about turning and maybe resawing boards. They recommended the Lennox bimetal blades. When I asked about carbide, they told me they are for cutting veneers. I did try one out, also a Lennox blade, and while I could get surfaces that would need almost no sanding, they dulled in about the same amount of cutting time that the bimetal blades did, and the carbide tips on them were so small, they could not be resharpened.

robo hippy

Hi Reed, so what do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    When I got my first bandsaw, a friend told me to go to a local place that will make blades for me. They asked me what I do, and I told them about turning and maybe resawing boards. They recommended the Lennox bimetal blades. When I asked about carbide, they told me they are for cutting veneers. I did try one out, also a Lennox blade, and while I could get surfaces that would need almost no sanding, they dulled in about the same amount of cutting time that the bimetal blades did, and the carbide tips on them were so small, they could not be resharpened.

robo hippy

I'm looking at those Lennox blades. I assume I'm getting the "Classic" bimetal for wood at about 55 bucks for the 3/4 3tpi?

Some of those options are really expensive, more so than the Resaw King blades. I priced a 1/2 inch 3tpi blade at 223 dollars. Wow. Worth it?

That's pretty aggressive. Where do you get those?
    I can't find the company that made my blades right now. Here is an option, Lennox Woodmaster C. Around $25. https://bandsawoutlet.com/woodmaster-c/