Thread: installing/calibrating/using a Wixey Digital Planer Readout with a DeWalt 735 planer

installing/calibrating/using a Wixey Digital Planer Readout with a DeWalt 735 planer

Questions regarding the digital readout:
    I've installed the readout on my planer and have several questions regarding its use.
    *The instructions indicate that there is a need to only calibrate the thickness of wood stock once. Am I assuming correctly, that it refers to each time wood stock will need to be planed? The instructions are not clear on this point.
    *The instructions also state adjustment to the absolute readout can be achieved by lightly depressing the absolute/incremental button. I've also watched a video regarding installation/calibration during which the woodworker stated the readout could adjust for errors in calibration, but did not demonstrate this feature. Does the readout have this feature capability?
    *I made an error in the instalment of the bracket that holds the Wixey ruler. The flat spot on which the wood stock is placed is higher then the planer bed by approximately 1/64". I'm reluctant to remove the bracket for fear that it would be damaged. I also realize I can buy another readout and a replacement planer dept gauge rule, but that would be an additional cost. Any suggustions for a method to correct this installation error, if the readout does not have the capability to adjust for this type of error?
    In advance, thanks to all who take the time to read and respond to this post!!!!
    Mark Mrsa

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Mrsa View Post
    Questions regarding the digital readout:
    I've installed the readout on my planer and have several questions regarding its use.
    *The instructions indicate that there is a need to only calibrate the thickness of wood stock once. Am I assuming correctly, that it refers to each time wood stock will need to be planed? The instructions are not clear on this point.
    *The instructions also state adjustment to the absolute readout can be achieved by lightly depressing the absolute/incremental button. I've also watched a video regarding installation/calibration during which the woodworker stated the readout could adjust for errors in calibration, but did not demonstrate this feature. Does the readout have this feature capability?
    *I made an error in the instalment of the bracket that holds the Wixey ruler. The flat spot on which the wood stock is placed is higher then the planer bed by approximately 1/64". I'm reluctant to remove the bracket for fear that it would be damaged. I also realize I can buy another readout and a replacement planer dept gauge rule, but that would be an additional cost. Any suggustions for a method to correct this installation error, if the readout does not have the capability to adjust for this type of error?
    In advance, thanks to all who take the time to read and respond to this post!!!!
    Mark Mrsa
    I've used it for years. It's very accurate and matches another digital caliper I own.

Calibration of the absolute measurement is required before using it the first time and will need to be done each time a new battery is installed. There is no reason to recalibrate each time you start with a new board.

The instructions are correct - Just pushing the absolute/incremental button (not holding it down) will switch between the two functions. I rarely have a use for the incremental as I generally plane boards to a specific thickness rather than measuring how much I've planed off. The absolute function is what you calibrate once and after each battery change. I don't know about "adjusting for calibration errors" as I either don't have the function or never bothered to determine what it is.

If I undestand your installaton error correctly, the lowest point the gauge's ruler will go is 1/64" above the infeed table of the planer. I would try to reinstall. Contacting Wixey support should get answers to this problem/question. In the past, they have been very responsive, but I haven't contacted them recently.

Randy,
    Thanks for your response. I've calibrated the absolute board thickness measurement numerous times while I've attempted to familiarize myself with the readout. In doing so, do you think it has altered the accurateness of the readout's measurement capability. If not, to be clear, since I have calibrated a board's measure all I need to do is set the absolute button to the measurement I want to plane the board to?
    I appreciate your guidance.
    Mark

Mark,

I have a different brand, not the wixey, but the general calibration process is to plane a board to any random thickness. Measure the boards thickness accurately in several places, ideally using digital calipers. Average the several readings to get an average thickness since it will likely vary very slightly along/across the board. Then set the display to show that average value. Now, when you change the planers depth setting, the display will change to show the thickness that you'll get when you plane a board at that setting. You don't change anything on the wixey after you've calibrated it; you just change the depth setting in the usual way, using the display to get to the desired thickness.

As Randy mentions, you usually have to redo the calibration after changing the battery.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

On first installation (or battery change), you need to calibrate. This can be done two different ways:
    1) As Paul said, measure the board with a separate digital caliper. On the Wixey, I believe there is an undocumented feature (which I think is what you're referring to re: the video) where you can press-and-hold some button to manually set the calibrated height.
    2) The Wixey instructions (which seem to really confuse some people, for some reason), assume that you do not have a separate digital caliper, so you can use the Wixey, itself, as that caliper by putting a planed board between the foot and the gauge.

Randy,
    Thanks for your response. I've calibrated the absolute board thickness measurement numerous times while I've attempted to familiarize myself with the readout. In doing so, do you think it has altered the accurateness of the readout's measurement capability. If not, to be clear, since I have calibrated a board's measure all I need to do is set the absolute button to the measurement I want to plane the board to?
    Mark
    I assume that, when you calibrated the gauge, you did it while set on absolute? The number of times you've calibrated it would have nothing to do with it's accuracy. The calibration process is merely meant to set the absolute function to zero so that, when you put any board through the planer the gauge measures the absolute thickness of the board. Thus, after calibraton, when the screen says .75 or 3/4, it is 3.4" (within several thousandths). Calibrating it numerous times just resets the absolute measurement to zero, assuming it's done according the instructions.

As for your other question about installation, it's possible that the problem you indicated may have some effect on the measuring capabilities, but I'm inclined to think it would just reduce the capaciity of your planer by the 1/64" you indicated. I don't really know, though, and think it would be best to contact Wixey Customer Support.
    Last edited by Randy Heinemann; 10-19-2022 at 7:23 PM.

I do not believe a simple device like the wixley can be calibrated. You are just forced to assume it is parallel to the motion. On a planer there is not much travel distance so any trig errors are minimal.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I do not believe a simple device like the wixley can be calibrated. You are just forced to assume it is parallel to the motion. On a planer there is not much travel distance so any trig errors are minimal.
    Bill D
    Actually, you aren't correct. The Wixey can be calibrated and I have done it each time I change the battery with the Wixey instructions. I usually check the calibration with a separate digital caliper but it's always within a couple of thousandths.

Randy,
    Mark
    Mark, I will look for my instructions and see if I can send them. I am sure mine document the calibration process or I would never have known what to do. I also have a Wixey gauge that was manufacturer installed on my drum sander. If I can't find the original Wixey instructions, I'll send these others as I believe they are the same and the gauge on the drum sander is newer.

Mark,

The Wixey website has all the products listed and their owner manuals can be downloaded, but I would guess you already have the manual. Assuming you have the WR510, which is the newer version, the directions say:

1. Run a board through the planer making sure that the entire top surface has wood removed. It's important not to change the cutter head height after this step.
    2. Lift the the scale using the "lip" at the top and place the same face just planed between the foot of the frame (which is the stationary flat spot at the bottome of the gauge frame) and the rounded end of the scale bar.
    3. Once 2 is done, press the ON/OFF + HOLD TO CAL button, for 3-5 seconds. The gauge is now calibrated.

The calibration process does not depend on sample measurements to determine average thickness or anything else except the 3 steps detailed in the instructions.

It is important that the screen indicates ABS (not INC) as the ABS setting is used to measure the actual thickness planed to.

If you wish to test it, check the thickness with another gauge you trust. While it won't be exactly identical it should be no more than a few thosandths different.

Randy,
    Thanks for your several responses!!! I'm going to put in a fresh set of batteries and calibrate again according to the directions. I'll let you know the outcome.
    As with all my postings, since I've become a member of the Sawmill community, there has always been one woodworker who has stuck with and provided repeated responses/guidance to my questions and this time it is you.
    Many thanks!
    This website has become a value resource for me, especially because there are no box woodworker speciality stores or woodworker clubs in my area. I've become an annual donator to the site as a result.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Actually, you aren't correct. The Wixey can be calibrated and I have done it each time I change the battery with the Wixey instructions. I usually check the calibration with a separate digital caliper but it's always within a couple of thousandths.
    I guess I am using a different definition of calibration. I meant angular correction for being mounted off axis. This would obviously increase with travel distance so it is not a simple addition or subtraction of a given value to set a zero point.
    Bill D

I guess I am using a different definition of calibration. I meant angular correction for being mounted off axis. This would obviously increase with travel distance so it is not a simple addition or subtraction of a given value to set a zero point.
    Bill D
    Not sure what you mean. All I know is that, when the Wixey is calibrated for thickness as the instructions indicate, it is extremely accurate when measured against another source such as a digital caliper. Given that wood moves all the time, I know this isn't accurate beyond the point in time of the measurment. However, at that point in time, the Wixey is more accurate than I have ever needed.

Bill D
    Bill, I think you are correct, but splitting hairs that are insignificant. How much off can the angle be with the device installation, as compared to the 90 degree optimum? I doubt much.

And the error only becomes larger as the angle increases...so I think in practical terms, this can be ignored, if the installation is within normal expected parameters. Granted if the device is installed at a 45 degree angle compared to the movement of the board, all bets are off. But what are the chances of this?
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!