Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Attach Flat Board to Wall With Hidden Fasteners?

How to Attach Flat Board to Wall With Hidden Fasteners?

How would you attach this keychain holder to a wall and keep the fasteners hidden? It's around 20" long and 7/16" thick.

I was wondering if 4 little patches of Velcro would work, but Velcro is a kind of tape, and tape likes to come off of vertical surfaces.

10 19 22 keychain holder mahogany before hanging small.jpg
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

French cleat. You can buy metal ones which are only a sixteenth or two thick.

Blog Entries
    Recent quilt hanger.

Quilt Wall Rack 1 (24).jpg

Years ago wall cabinet.

GnG Wall Cab (66).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Key hole slots made with a router bit on the back of the board. A couple of pan head screws in dry wall anchor in the wall.

Command makes some heavy duty velcro strips that are rated to hold 16 pounds.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-19-2022 at 8:45 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the help.

Alien tape.

(just read and follow directions)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

How does a person make those little cavities in the photo on post 3? If I grabbed a router and tried to freehand those, I would probably destroy the project and end up in the emergency room. Does someone make templates?

I use the little keyhole brackets that Glenn shows...I use them enough that I actually have a file for my CNC machine to cut the recesses, but that's easily done by hand, too. I prefer the metal versions to using a keyhole slot cutter directly in the wood because the can be used in thinner material if necessary and also have some form to them that draws the object being hung tight to the wall when the screw is properly adjusted while allowing the initial push onto the screw(s) to be easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I gave Velcro a shot and found out it doesn't like Danish oil.

I should add that there are now a lot of fancy products for fastening stuff to walls. I started Googling in desperation, and I found out. Velcro is involved in some of them. It looks like using nails and hooks is a bad idea these days. The 3M company makes a product called the Claw that goes into drywall without a hammer, and they also make a product that uses adhesive strips.

As for my problem, I figured out what to do. I'll use Velcro again and use staples or a few tiny screws to anchor the corners to the wood so the Velcro can't peel off. I'll also clean the wood with a solvent to get rid of the Danish oil which is making Velcro come off. I don't have to have a perfect finish on the back of the wood.

The reason I like Velcro is that it doesn't let things rock. A keychain holder will be touched all the time, so it's not like a picture. It has to be solidly mounted, and you can't use something that will come loose over time because the touching makes it rock.

If you don't have a plunge router, but have the keyhole bit, you can drill holes for the wide part of the bit to start. Then you just move the router a short distance for the slot
    < insert spurious quote here >

I stuck the key rack on the wall with Velcro, and I made sure the Velcro was stapled to the board. It will be there when the house is torn down.

Nice to know where the keys are.

If you find yourself wanting it to be even more secure, use a couple small StripLox.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    How does a person make those little cavities in the photo on post 3? If I grabbed a router and tried to freehand those, I would probably destroy the project and end up in the emergency room. Does someone make templates?

Scribe outline; Use 1/8" chisel for outside lines, 1/4" chisel for center portion. Can also simply drill a shallow hole and expand it with 1/8" chisel.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    If you find yourself wanting it to be even more secure, use a couple small StripLox.
    Those Striplox look really interesting.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.