Thread: Happy Birthday, Sam Maloof...

Happy Birthday, Sam Maloof...

Born January 24th, 1916. 90 years old, and still producing amazing stuff.

Wish I could meet him sometime, but I doubt it is gonna happen. From what I've read he seems like a really fine gentleman, as well as being an amazing woodworker.

I'm about halfway through reading "Furniture of Sam Maloof" by Jeremy Adamson. It is a pretty decent biography of the man, but I do think it goes way too deep into a blow-by-blow account of some of the different craft shows/meetings he attends. I was hoping for something more like C.Becksvoort's amazingly detailed book "The Shaker Legacy". (ie: more furniture photos and descriptions!!)

Is there a better book out there that gives us a look at his different work and techniques? Hey, I just double-checked amazon and I see that Taunton is putting out a book on Sam Maloof in February!

Sam, I salute you! May you keep enjoying your work.
    ...art

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    Is there a better book out there that gives us a look at his different work and techniques? Hey, I just double-checked amazon and I see that Taunton is putting out a book on Sam Maloof in February!

Sam, I salute you! May you keep enjoying your work.
    ...art
    Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...lance&n=283155
    I've got a paperback copy signed by him...wish I had a hardback, but they're out of print and start at $150 used.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I am glad that Sam and I have something in common-- and it ain't fine wood working- like he does.-- We share the same birthdate- NO- not the same year Happy Birthday to us both!
    Jerry

I just got back from the Maloof compound. Today was the dedication of the Maloof Education center. Well it's not built yet but they did the ground breaking today. Sam looked good, was the perfect host and true to his promise they had "In and Out Burgers"...

Happy birthday Sam.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.