Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door advice. Slightly off topic

Door advice. Slightly off topic

I trust the advice here, so while a bit off topic, I’m asking here.

We are about to remodel our master bathroom. Wife wants a set of double doors leading to the bathroom. 16” wide each. Bathroom is a bit narrow, so we want to limit the swing into the room. The doors will be 2 flat panels and painted. Choice of solid core or solid wood. At least one manufacturer (Masonite) warrants the solid core door for 7 years, the wood door for 1 year. My wife is dead set on solid wood. Solid core is about $150 less.

What would you buy?

(Wouldn’t mind making them myself, but I already have to build the vanity and full length mirrored recessed makeup cabinet and just don’t have time.)

Whatever makes the wife happy

For painted flush doors, I see no reason to go with solid wood over solid core. I've installed bunches of solid core doors in my home with zero issues. They start flat and stay flat. They have solid wood on the edges so they take hinge screws the same as solid wood doors. For bathroom use you want to make sure to paint the top and bottom, not just the sides and front and back.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I don’t mind any kind of material for interior doors if the moulding is crisp ,not all rounded over as if its been painted a bunch of times.
    You should have rabetted doors so that they will lap ,and not leave a strip of light between them and can be held steady without a middle divider .

Can you swing a single door out instead of double doors in?

Blog Entries
    Having them be light weight could help with ease of use.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    <snip> You should have rabetted doors so that they will lap ,and not leave a strip of light between them and can be held steady without a middle divider .
    Good point, could also use an applied astragal.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Whatever makes the wife happy
    If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No sliding barn door?
    Is this the end of barn door inside of the home
    Aj

One finer point as I get older and older. If you have an elderly person laying on the floor of the bathroom with a broken bone, will the paramedics be able to open one of the doors into the bathroom without making the injury worse?

As far as masonite versus other I got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Can you swing a single door out instead of double doors in?
    The doors will be left open mostly to “display” the antique chandelier and vanity. I think it is a visual thing. Plus, there may be some bedroom furniture along that wall that may make an outward opening door awkward.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    For painted flush doors, I see no reason to go with solid wood over solid core. I've installed bunches of solid core doors in my home with zero issues. They start flat and stay flat. They have solid wood on the edges so they take hinge screws the same as solid wood doors. For bathroom use you want to make sure to paint the top and bottom, not just the sides and front and back.
    +1, the stability of manufactured materials, especially if there going to be painted , offer advantages over simple solid wood panels. In traditional construction, solid wood panels are often held flat by joinery to adjacent parts or breadboard ends.

Is the choice between panel doors and flush doors, or between panel doors with wood panels vs panel doors with composite (or MDF) panels?

Well, took the wife to look at doors and we ended up ordering raised panel, solid wood doors.

Blog Entries
    I would go look at doors. If my wife is not happy, no one is happy.