Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granite Tile at Home Depot

Granite Tile at Home Depot

Was cruising through today on my way to the paint department for sandpaper...big display of granite tile, including a solid black that looks more like marble: no grain at all on the polished surface. Only $6 each for 12x12, so I took a flyer on a box of 5. Pretty good stuff, based on one (relatively) quick test:
    Aztec12.jpg
    Anybody know offhand if you can cut this stuff with a standard tile saw?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee,

Granite cuts almost as easy as black marble on a tile saw. Try a photo and see what the quality looks like on the granite.

Granite Tile at Home Depot

I use the HD Granite all the time, even at $7.99 it has been the best price around here, most places it was $10. Thanks for the sale info, I'll go get more tomorrow. With photos I have been using a much higher speed/lower power because with any depth the mottled color under the polished black surface blurs the image. I'd love to see you do a sample though, Lee.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    With photos I have been using a much higher speed/lower power because with any depth the mottled color under the polished black surface blurs the image.
    I'll keep that in mind. The Aztec calendar was just using the straight 'engrave' settings for marble from my ULS "bible". Probably wouldn't kill me to sacrifice a tile to a set of gray-scale calibration strips...faster than waiting for a chunk of photo to come out.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Funny this thread just came up. I ordered a case to play with last night. I haven't seen the black marble at Lowes mentioned in another thread. I will ask on my next trip.
    Jim Walters

Pinnacle Mercury 30W
    CorelDRAW x3
    AutoCAD Electrical

6. ULS Bible

That caught my eye. Where can I get a ULS "bible"?

I am new to laser engraving, I have a Laser Pro Explorer II 30 watt for 3 months now. Where did you find the Actec calendar vector file?

Quote Originally Posted by johnwr 12
    I am new to laser engraving, I have a Laser Pro Explorer II 30 watt for 3 months now. Where did you find the Actec calendar vector file?
    It's not a vector file, it's a bitmap. Google images, search term "aztec" has several versions.

Quote Originally Posted by c baumwell
    That caught my eye. Where can I get a ULS "bible"?
    It's a Word file of power-level settings for various materials my ULS distributor sent me. Way too big to post/attach here (~800K)...PM me with your email address if you want a copy.

Here is my vector Aztec business card.
    Help youselves. just change the text

Abdul
    P.S: The file is in corel12 format and too big to upload.(850KB).
    If anyone wants it, send me an email and I'll attach it back to you

I'd love to get a copy of that word file too, if you don't mind. Thanks!!

kmaitl1@aol.com

An Update

Tried some photos on one yesterday, with so-so results. Not the kind of thing I'd prefer for portraits, I think: the reflections from the dark (unengraved) areas are very distracting, kind of like doing a watercolor painting on a mirror. The images look decent but are nearly impossible to photograph, so you're not going to see them here.

I think this stuff might actually push me into buying Photograv if I decide to pursue photographic/grayscale work on it (as opposed to two-color graphics)...my brain has trouble working out what direction to tweak the settings when I'm working with a "negative". And I can't just snip off a sample piece to dial in the settings like I normally do with wood.

Joe, you were right about the settings though. The "book" said 100% power, 60% speed: that worked ok for engraving, but turns out 25% power, 100% speed looks just as good...and gets done twice as fast.

Lee,

It will be very difficult if not at all possible to get good results doing photos on granite without photograv.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie
    It will be very difficult if not at all possible to get good results doing photos on granite without photograv.
    No kidding: I was able to do it (barely), but it wasn't nearly as easy as on wood, and definitely not fun.

marble vs granite

Reflection on both marble and granite can be annoying if dispalyed in a bright room. A shadow frame can help, but positioning is critical.

One way to overcome the difference between engraving a photo on marble vs. granite is to change the photo from grayscale to line art (blk&wht). Also a white fill can help since the granite substrate is gray as opposed to marble turning white when lasered.

An example follows which uses the same original photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images