Thread: Router bits - Freud vs. Whiteside

Router bits - Freud vs. Whiteside

I have mostly Freud router bits, but am thinking of trying out a couple of Whitesides next time I buy. Anyone have a strong preference for one over the other? The major difference I see is that Freud uses a PTFE coating, but Whiteside doesn't coat their bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    I have mostly Freud router bits, but am thinking of trying out a couple of Whitesides next time I buy. Anyone have a strong preference for one over the other? The major difference I see is that Freud uses a PTFE coating, but Whiteside doesn't coat their bits.
    I have both, along with a bunch of others. Whiteside wins every time. Not that Freud is a bad bit, I just think feel whiteside stays sharper longer. I also tend to get less burn, but maybe it's just coincidence.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

They are both high-end bits, I can't say I've noticed a terrible amount of difference between the two.

Whiteside is a family owned business and manufactures their bits in the United States. Always my first choice and Holbren has competitive prices, good service and reasonably priced shipping.

I prefer Whiteside
    Having said that - Freud makes a lot of bits I like too.

Another useful maker is - Yonico for cheap but decent bits. They come in handy for odd bits you seldom use again.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I prefer whiteside, cmt or Amana.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I like how Freud handles many of their "form" bits with the alternating shear angles, but I don't use many of that kind of cutter. Like Brian, I favor Whiteside and Amana for many types of tooling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Whiteside always first choice, with Amana a close second. Whiteside makes bits for other sellers, like the high end line of Eagle American, so those are good too.

Whiteside or Amana here. Toolstoday somehow delivers Amana bits consistently the very next day, so often use them.

Freud does have one line that is unique to them AFAIK. Here is one example:

https://www.freudtools.com/products/99-760

They can make extra length tenons, I've always been a little sceptical about the short tenons on door rails though I've never had one fail. I don't have one but if I need to make cabinet doors that will change.

I’ve had both and lean towards whitesides but don’t feel as though it’s a dramatic difference.

I think the shop sounds podcast is sponsored by bitsbits.com and you can find a discount code there. Bitsbits has a coated option. I haven’t splurged for that yet (pricey) but it would be interesting to do a head to head comparison.

Being married to one company is a guarantee you will not be always using the best bit for what you are doing. I have diff brands but one past job used tons of Onsrud bits as I didnt find anything else as sharp.