Thread: Edge Sander Necessary?

Edge Sander Necessary?

I am almost finished putting together a tenant furniture shop in Eastern Massachusetts where people can rent woodshop space on an annual basis. I have all of my planned machines except for one that I've held off on- an edge sander. I have eyed several Crouch 6" belt sanders (some oscillating, some not) at auctions over the last couple of years but have not pulled the trigger. I have only use a small benchtop Jet edge sander and not a large production shop one like the type I am considering buying with ~36" of sanding capability. I am wondering if anybody who has used a large one can chime in and let me know what they mostly used it for and whether it is necessary in a furniture shop. Thanks for any advice.

Sandy

The consensus is that you can do everything on an edge sander that you can with a standard belt/disc combo sander plus more. The big benefit is ensuring that you can sand a 36" straight edge (which you cannot do with a normal upright belt sander). Another benefit is sanding an exact angle on that 36" edge. Here's a thread where we discussed a lot:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?299585-20-quot-Disc-Sander-or-a-6-quot-Edge-Sander

This sander has been up for sale for several months. It looks like a great deal, but it was too big for me and this machine doesn't allow for more than 45-90 degree angle (my Hammer HS950 can do 0-90 sanding angle).

https://woodweb.com/exchanges/machin...ts/537973.html

Thanks for the reply. That other thread had some good info and is particularly interesting since I also have a 24" disc sander. That PM sander looks nice but is above my price range and is on the wrong side of the country!

I consider an edge sander, even a non-oscillating unit with a fixed table, essential for a commercial cabinet or furniture shop for fitting doors and drawer fronts, sanding long (or short) edges and ends, tapers, smoothing bandsawn cuts, and the idle roller can be used for moderate inside curves. Mine is a 3 phase unit run on a vfd which is great for slowing down the belt for burn-prone woods or when the belt is a little dull.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-27-2022 at 5:19 PM.

Necessary? probably not, but they sure are really helpful and efficient. If anyone is going to be doing large runs of cabinet doors and drawers in the shop it’s a go-to tool.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I don't have a view as to your question but do live in Boston. Out of curiosity, is your envisioned market professional woodworkers, serious hobbyists or some of both? As one of the latter, I have my own shop space now, but there was a time in my life where I didn't and would have been very interested in paid access to an equipped shop. Given that eastern Massachusetts is one of the most expensive places in the country to rent commercial space for a pro, or acquire a home of any kind, much less one that sports
    a suitable garage/basement for a hobbyist shop, I suspect there's a market out there for you. I wish you well with this endeavor.

If by furniture you are including cabinets with doors, then yes there is nothing better than an edge sander for smoothing the styles to the rails. I bought my Jet edge sander when I took on a kitchen job to be built frame and panel using ash. It made quick work of sanding the tops and bottoms of all the doors. Since then I have fallen in love with it. If you choose to get one, include the cost of many different belt grits. It's a very different machine with a 60 grit belt vs a 120 belt. The first is a beast, the second is a kitten.

For me, it's a must have.

Blog Entries
    Seems to me that if you are on the fence on this decision, and the business is just starting up, that there's no harm in pushing the decision down the road a bit. Once you are up and running, you will have a wealth of feedback available to you from members which may lead you to this (or another) enhancement later.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

An edge sander is a luxury. I am allowed to use the tools where I work and we have a nice edge sander, oscillating, I use it often. If you had a small shop and rented out time the edge sander is a real time saver. Say you cut beveled edges on feet or legs with a band saw, edge sander cleans it up. Cut an arc on a top rail, use the round end on the edge sander to smooth it. A good edge sander can leave a good enough edge for a glue joint if you are not that picky.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I have one, do not use it on every project, but glad it is in my shop.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am definitely going to get an edge sander and am going to look for a used one. I've got the space for it as the machine room is 3,700 s.f. David, to answer your question I am targeting both hobbyist and professionals but of course have to make sure that whoever comes on board has experience with machines. The shop is set up with a separate bench room, finish room, and office space with the idea that a professional can run a small business out of there. Think WeWork but for woodworking only (and no scandal). Thanks again.

edge sanders have graphite on the back platten, depending on the grit and pressure pushing wood into it doesnt leave a flat surface.