Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop Contractor saw questions

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Worstell View Post
    I plan to use my craftsman cast iron wings. I am assuming that the holes will line up, and if not I will drill new holes. My Incra fence system is going on regardless. For dust collection, looking at the one that comes standard on the 3HP model or making my own.
    Looks like only an inch difference in two directions, and 1/2" difference in thickness- should work out

I plan to use my craftsman cast iron wings. I am assuming that the holes will line up, and if not I will drill new holes. My Incra fence system is going on regardless. For dust collection, looking at the one that comes standard on the 3HP model or making my own.
    I hope the wings line up as depth wise and i suspect the bevels won't match but give it a try. For the dust collection, what do you mean one that comes standard on the 3hp model? Sawstop does not produce a dust collector, and if you mean a 3hp dust collector, you are talking about something like a large cyclone and you will need another 220v circuit for it. I remember in the beginning of this thread you were talking about 110v saw, so assumed you were not going with 220v machines.

I can tell you from my setup, which is a Sawstop 3hp PCS hooked up to a 3hp Laguna cyclone I still get dust escaping, especially when making a cut that doesn't allow me to use the dust collection blade guard such as a dado cut, a 45, or small pieces of wood that where the blade guard is in the way. Riving knife goes on of course except for dado cuts.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Hmm. I measured my craftsman wings and they are 12" x 27", same as the sawstop. The craftsman wing thickness is 1.5" same as the sawstop. Perhaps the leading edge bevel is different, but thats OK. The bolt pattern looks to be the same although I can find no dimensions from saw stop. It appears that table saw wing dimensions have been pretty standard for decades.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]CNS-07-017 extension tables. Measures 27" x 12" x 1.5".

[/COLOR]
    Am I missing something?

Hmm. I measured my craftsman wings and they are 12" x 27", same as the sawstop. The craftsman wing thickness is 1.5" same as the sawstop. Perhaps the leading edge bevel is different, but thats OK. The bolt pattern looks to be the same although I can find no dimensions from saw stop. It appears that table saw wing dimensions have been pretty standard for decades.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]CNS-07-017 extension tables. Measures 27" x 12" x 1.5".

[/COLOR]
    Am I missing something?

I was looking at the cabinet saw, which I thought was the idea. That looks much more promising!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I was looking at the cabinet saw, which I thought was the idea. That looks much more promising!
    Wait, are you saying the dimensions of the CI wings on the cabinet saws are different than the dimensions on the contractor saw? When I went to the SS site, the only CI wings I could find were for upgrading the contractor stamped steel wings to CI wings. I assumed that these were just the same CI wings that came on the cabinet saws. Are saying that the dimensions of the CI wings that come on the cabinet saws are different from the dimensions of the CI wings you can get to upgrade the contractor saw?

Wait, are you saying the dimensions of the CI wings on the cabinet saws are different than the dimensions on the contractor saw? When I went to the SS site, the only CI wings I could find were for upgrading the contractor stamped steel wings to CI wings. I assumed that these were just the same CI wings that came on the cabinet saws. Are saying that the dimensions of the CI wings that come on the cabinet saws are different from the dimensions of the CI wings you can get to upgrade the contractor saw?
    The CNS (contractor) and PCS (Cabinet) saw are have the same top dimensions of 20x27. With Cast Iron Wings on both, the tops are 44x27 (12+12+20 = 44). However, with that said, the CNS and PCS both have different cast iron wing part numbers, prices and even weight 40 vs 45 pounds each. They are in fact not the same. So, if your craftsman wings don't work out on the PCS, you will just have to order a pair for $350 plus shipping (to my house in NJ, SS Web Site wants $95at the low end) and Tax. Basically just shy of $500 for a pair. Based on your post above, your saving $500 to not get the wings and the entire fence assembly. I know you won't use the fence since you want your incra, sell it or store it if you ever sell the saw. But like I said earlier, penny wise, pound foolish not to get the entire package.

https://www.sawstopstore.com/product...xtension-wing/

https://www.sawstopstore.com/product...-wing-for-pcs/

EDIT: I just measured my wings on the PCS and they are in fact 1.5" thick. I also just looked at the ICS wing and it's ship weight is also 45 pounds even though it's 4 inches longer. Seems odd. Maybe if you have someone local to you that also have a PCS you can bring your wing to them and match it up to be sure before ordering.
    Last edited by Justin Rapp; 11-04-2022 at 9:40 AM.

Sorry, my mistake. I was looking at the parts page, & it gave shipping dimensions which I mistook as actual part dimensions.

I'm not a saw stop user, but a buddy got one (cabinet saw), & because there is no place for sawdust to accumulate, It appears that it basically cannot be used without dust collection,

which seems like a good thing to know.

Sorry, my mistake. I was looking at the parts page, & it gave shipping dimensions which I mistook as actual part dimensions.

I'm not a saw stop user, but a buddy got one (cabinet saw), & because there is no place for sawdust to accumulate, It appears that it basically cannot be used without dust collection,

I agree a dust collector is required for a cabinet saw, or someone who fully encloses their contractor saw. A shop vac would work for a temporary measure if you can reduce from 4" to 2.5, but you won't as much air volume and suspect you will need to vacuum out the saw often. I still vacuum mine out occasionally and also turn on my dust collector and blow air in and around the cabinet to help pull any stray dust into my DC.

... because there is no place for sawdust to accumulate, It appears that it basically cannot be used without dust collection,

Sorry, that's not the case. Sawdust can accumulate in the bottom of the cabinet if no dust collection is connected. Not the optimal way to operate the saw, but completely possible.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I have a Delta table saw, ordered a cast iron wing from Amazon, listed as a Sawstop, fit with no issues.

Mark

Yeah, on thinking about it, I think you are probably right. That $500 I save on getting base saw only is questionable all things considered. My Craftsman CI wings are the honey comb type and the SS is the nicer solid type. They should fit up but you never know.

Todd, check your notifications inbox. I sent the text, but could not figure out how to attach the whole PDF document on table adjustment. If you want that you'll have to send me an email address.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Stan, Todd will have to upgrade to Contributor status with a $6 donation to have access to Private Messages, the Classifieds and photos.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Todd, check your notifications inbox. I sent the text, but could not figure out how to attach the whole PDF document on table adjustment. If you want that you'll have to send me an email address.
    Stan, checked my notifications a few times now and dont see anything?

Stan, checked my notifications a few times now and dont see anything?
    Please see post #28
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...